Crab(but not the same as Grogs)

ckyuv

Had to run some carbon so threw a filter sock in my sump yesterday. Just went to take it out and this guy is chilling on it. Any thoughts what this might be? Would have had to come in on the rubble from Tampa bay presumably unless it came on a coral and made it down the overflow: 

IMG_0525.jpeg

IMG_0524.jpeg

• Like 1

Red Mithrax is my vote also.   Defining characteristic would be "spoons" at the tips of the claws.  Some mithrax can be quite "hairy" like some "pest" crabs so that characteristic isn't a reliable way to identify them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mFrame said:

Cute little guy, I'd promote him to the main tank.

I'm interested in the green mithrax if you're getting rid of one. I love those guys.

Sweet! I’m gona see how you lure them out of the rocks to catch one and you can have em. I think I saw someone on one of these threads use a chunk of shrimp or something so might give that a shot. Was gona order a little more rock from Tampa bay and see they sell the reds so might get another one now he’s cool haha. 

• Like 2

Mithrax are easy, just grab them with your fingers when you see it, they are kinda slow and I've never been pinched.  

Don't do that with a blue or rock crab.    Those you need to grab by the swimmers.

• Like 1