New octo nano> blue ring

caferacermike

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew you got it right. There will soon be 3 dwarf octos in the tank. The teeny one was still alive about 2 nights back when I saw it had a hermit stuck to the side of the rocks.

KaceyJ I don't know why it is that I never liked spiders. I was hoping you'd have brought some out to the last meeting. If you were to use the way back machine and go back say 12 years, I was dealing in reptiles. We'd get them in wholesale and kept all the local shops well supplied. Basically did it so we had access to the really good stuff. I'd come back from shows all the time with spiders. Toss in a few crickets or mice and watch them do their thing. I just couldn't ever get into it.

Little Reef, they are not but probably should be. I think one of the main difficulties in making them illegal is that it's hard to know if you got one. My supply told me that they are regular hitch hikers on the live rock that come in. When they find a couple they quarantine them away for weirdos like myself. My Vendor has told me that he would prefer not to sell one to anyone else. He chose to sell them to me because of the time and energy I've put into the hobby and he felt certain that I would be willing to take the necessary precautions and that I full knew and understood what I was getting myself into.

Let me start off by saying that's totally amazing and absolutely frighteing at the same time! Did you incorporate any locking mechanism to prevent escape? I've read a few sudies on the learning behavior of octopus and they're by far one of the more intelligent species of the ocean. Beyond the live food in a jar try some plastic bird toys. Many come with reflective surfaces and no sharp edges, this might peek the little guys interest.

Everytime there is a post on this I get all excited thinking there will be more pics. I hope they don't kill you at work Mike and next day off I vote you take it easy and I don't know maybe take a few shots of the octo tank. Just throwin' that out there.

No, about an hour ago. I uploaded them 5 minutes after taking them. It's been out for the entire week. I tossed in a frozen clam, thawed, the other night and it took notice but I did not see it eat any of the clam. That doesn't mean that it didn't but that I did not witness it. I plan to stop and get some peppermint shrimp on the way home tomorrow.

Nice Mike! How did the original octo react to the new additions? I know that you can keep the dwarf gulf octos together in groups, never heard anything about the BRs though. You also have a dwarf in there with them? That might cause some trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually that is all to common. In fact it's for reasons just like this that I can get them. They tend to ship all the time as "dwarf" so many vendors get stuck with them. How do you think we get so many mantis shrimps? Just like blue rings they hitch a ride in some rock and from time to time they emerge at the wholesalers.