New octo nano> blue ring

caferacermike

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't updated cause there is nothing to report. It found a little hole in the rock and never moves. It seems to have eaten 1 peppermint shrimp. I do toss in a couple of ghost shrimp in every few days, maybe it's eating them. I don't think it's eaten any snails, hermit crabs or the emerald crab I tossed. I tried frozen clams the other night it was still there in the morning. At least I can peek in the hole and keep tabs on it. I was hoping it would get bored sooner or later.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

I have marine sailfin mollies that I purchased from C-Quest in Porto Rico. I would be happy to give you a bag full. These have been mixed with many other variety and don't look like much. They are nutritious for a marine predator and as a plus they are good herbivores.

When I maintained a Gulf of Mexico biotheme tank, I caught ghost shrimp in the salt water marshes around Galveston Bay. These ghost shrimp and green mollies lived in full streangth salt water. This may be something you would want to pursue on the trip to the coast in the Spring.

In any case, I will have a marine tank of mollies and ediable seaweed, Gracilaria parvispora or Tang Heaven Red, set up for the first part of Febuary. You would be welcome to a start of the mollies.

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

The only update I have at this point is the stupidity of members comments at http://maast.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48739 . There are a few intelligent comments made by those that either read the entire thread or have dropped by for a visit. What a nice group of people that will judge without researching what they are commenting upon. Notice that the ones that claim this as "ridiculous" or "stupid" are those same individuals that will not comment on this forum, or at the very least ask questions to educate themselves before making open statements.

Not to stray off topic but Starfire is correct to an extent. I had been posting the progress up to the point just before adding the octopus. But due to the negativity being displayed all over that site I quit participating. I was notified that when I posted that my octopus had arrived on this site, the Admin removed the post from the other site.

Back on topic. I need to get some new pics up as the corals have been growing like crazy once I began feeding them on DT's and Reef Nutrition oyster eggs.

By the way, really nice job with the tank, and handling of the octopus. I have spent a long time researching octos, and have spoken in depth with authorities on the subject....anyways, you have done a fantastic job, and deserve to keep the blue ring without harassment. I wouldnt let the opinions of people who dont understand what you have, and have had to do to keep this species bother you too much. Good work man.

• 1 month later...

055.jpg

This tank has become very interesting. About 2 weeks ago Prof and I ordered a ton of corals. At about 1:30am I opened a bag with a large coral in it and nearly peed myself when something in the bag shot off. Corals don't move that fast. After a couple of minutes of searching a teeny octopus was found in the corner of the bag. That one was placed within the tank and it quickly captured and ate my 2 hermits. Something finally ate the emerald crab. I was just alerted that I have another blue ring waiting for me at the airport. Thanks go out to that Vendor for looking out for my best interests. Didn't even know I needed another one, LOL. I'll just have to see how the get along and post more pics. That pic is from about 3 weeks back and I just found it on my camera while looking for something else.