Planning my new tank...

Entropy

Just kicking around ideas in my head and decided to included the rest of you (aren't you lucky confused5.gif ).

I am pretty set on a 48Lx36wx25t 190g with a single overflow (middle back wall). A single 2 inch drain and two 1 inch returns. It will be viewable (low iron glass) from three sides and the back will be black. Any other ideas to add? I am trying to keep it under $1000 for the tank itself and will probably start out FOWLR to keep the costs down, but will eventually go with a full mixed reef. I was pondering a closed loop, but I am not sure if I want more complications. Anyway, any feedback or ideas would be great.

If you are having the tank built for you (sounds like it with the low iron glass) then you probably want to go ahead and have it drilled for closed loop. That way, if you do decide to add a closed loop in the future, you do not have to have more stuff hanging in the tank (returns and intake for CL). If you don't use them, just cap the bulkheads off in the tank.

At least, that's what I would do...especially seeing as how I want to drill mine, but I won't since that will involve draining the tank.

Yeah I am going to have it built (unless I magically run into a tank that is the same or close to what I want). I was looking at Glasscages since they are fairly local. I was thinking of maybe putting a CL drain right in the center of the tank about mid level and then returning it to two returns also in the tank on either side about mid level with some kind of spreader to get a nice dispersed flow.