Advice with tang introduction/aggression

Sierra Bravo

I have an established White Tail Bristletooth in my DT and a smaller purple tang that just went through quarantine.  I chose those two species because according to what's out there on the web, they are sufficiently different that aggression should be reduced.  That and the fact that I introduced the bristletooth first since he is the least aggressive of the two.

WRONG!

The bristletooth immediately put the smackdown on the purple - he beat him like he owed him money.   The purple now has a punctured side and a split dorsal; the bristle is sporting a cut from his eye across his nose.  I let it go for a bit to see if he'd back off after he was cut on the face - no dice.  I was able to catch the purple and get it back in the acclimation box.

Suggestions on next steps or things that have worked for you in your experiences? 

I've seen some people report that they put a mirror against the tank to attract the fish and they'll turn their attention to their own reflection...I think someone in the club has tried that successfully.

Someone say mirror?

FWIW, I'd remove both fish and put them both in QT with a divider. Let them see each other but they can't try to kill each other.

Maybe like a month or so later, add them both into the display at the same time. They may still try to kill each other but this is the best way I can advise to try. My last tank I had 5 different tangs in there and I added them almost roughly at the same time as well.

Same with my angels, almost all at the same time. The least aggressive was added first to get acclimated.

You best chance of success is going to be to put them both in time out like Ty said.   You might try removing the divider after a few weeks to see how they get along.   Fish are pretty smart and they do have surprisingly good memories so the White Tail Bristletooth may still decide the tank belongs to him so you need to be ready for the potential of having to rehome one of them.    Species have reputations for getting along or not getting along with others but individual personalities will trump whatever the internet says.  I've had to rehome a Blonde Naso twice because it can't stand Regal Tangs and chases them unmercifully even though in both situations the Regal was well established.  And I recently added a 3" yellow tang to a ssytem with a 7" Regal tang and with in a couple days the Yellow was harrassing the Regal, no torn fins yet (knock on wood).

This is the first time for me to have to deal with the situation.  What a shame.  All the planning and time and expense to get a fish through a proper  QT procedure - and neither one are inexpensive fish - and then to possibly have to re-home one???  Arghhhhh!  

I'll have to catch the white tail with a hook; there is no way possible to grab him with a net.  I'll see about getting them in a divided 20 long after I get back from a trip this week for business and go from there.  Thanks for all your advice.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Timfish said:

:thumbsup:  You might try removing the divider in 2-3 weeks to see how they are getting along before returning them to your DT.    Good Luck!

That is exactly the plan - the last thing I want to do is try to get them back out of the tank again.  If they aren't able to cohabitate after a month or so I guess they'll be a purple tang available. 

Archived