Juiceman's AGE 200 Gallon Reef

Juiceman

Dang man, scary! What's up the power going out on everybody? Get those backup plans in place everyone and check your backup batteries like Juiceman said.

Entire city of Manor was out from 12:34-2:00 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knock on wood...any power outages in my area have never been more than a couple of minutes over the 3 1/2 yrs I've been over here.
I lost power for 7 mins at the old house... In 7 years.

I'm here one year at the new house and lost power for 20 hours. I think I'm going to move back to the old house and make the tenants live in this house. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I lost power for 7 mins at the old house... In 7 years.

I'm here one year at the new house and lost power for 20 hours. I think I'm going to move back to the old house and make the tenants live in this house. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Install solar man! Then if power goes out at night you'll have your fancy new generator to fall back on [emoji38] Can the club get some solar panels to rotate between members? [emoji12]
  • Like 1

Install solar man! Then if power goes out at night you'll have your fancy new generator to fall back on [emoji38] Can the club get some solar panels to rotate between members? [emoji12]
That's why I was asking if Juiceman has power still from the solar panels if his neighborhood power goes out. Got me thinking!

Do your solar panels provide energy during a power outage?

I don’t have a “battery”. That’s another several thousands of dollars. It doesn’t bank, it just goes back on the grid.

I don’t have a “battery”. That’s another several thousands of dollars. It doesn’t bank, it just goes back on the grid.

During the day might be a different story...?

Makes sense without a battery you wouldn't be able to bank any. Almost seems like that would be the whole point is to be able to survive without the grid if you had solar panels. I wonder how long those batteries last as far a a maintenance replacement perspective. Like every 5 years I have to pay for new batteries?

Yeah, I'm curious about during the day if you can locally supply energy to yourself even with the grid being down.

10 minutes ago, Juiceman said:

During the day might be a different story...?

Negative.  Without a battery, if power from the grid goes down, you go down as well.  It's a dead man switch, otherwise the workers couldn't fix the power lines safely - all the solar panels would be pushing electricity back into the grid.  Theoretically, it could be set up to power the house and not push into the grid during an outage, but my guess is that option would be 1) cost prohibitive and 2) create issues w/ the give/take agreement between the utility provider and the homeowner.

• Like 1

Negative.  Without a battery, if power from the grid goes down, you go down as well.  It's a dead man switch, otherwise the workers couldn't fix the power lines safely - all the solar panels would be pushing electricity back into the grid.  Theoretically, it could be set up to power the house and not push into the grid during an outage, but my guess is that option would be 1) cost prohibitive and 2) create issues w/ the give/take agreement between the utility provider and the homeowner.
Thanks for the insider info Jeff!

That's all that's in there?! Oh man! Gotta love it when there's a cheap and easy option

It’s pretty simple, you need a drill and some new screws to put it back together but that’s it. It’s like a typical car battery. It’s only good for 3-5 years even without being used.

5 hours ago, BobcatReefer said:

The 20K option. Good for 24hrs.

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

• Like 1

Just did a full round of tests which I’m sad to say I haven’t done in a reeeeeaaaalllyy long time.

Salinity : 35
ALK - 6.88 (increased to 7.5)
Calcium - 350 (increased to 440)
Magnesium - 1200 (increased to 1400)
Na3 - .75
Po4 - .01

I haven’t read nitrates and Po4 in a very long time! It’s good to have fish again! Haha

I’m working on making my flow more natural and efficient today. This first pic is was my current setup. I don’t have a lot of flow going down the front of the Tank. And I feel like I’m just wasting the Tunze pumps I have. There is also no varying flow in the center of the Tank.

2eec39a1d9062628b680719df2c3e5ee.heic

Here’s my first thought. Move 2 of the mp40s closer to the front where they have more of an open channel to push water and move the 2 Tunze towards the center pushing water against each other.

05ee9efd0a91ca93d86f8884e1012162.heic

Here’s my second thought. Move the rear Mp40/s to the center of the tank at a lower setting and put the Tunzes in their place to push water across the back of the Tank. Front Mp40s still closer to the front. This could possible free up an Mp40 to sell also.

b05ffb82591f68fc5c143b1a14655be8.heic

Thoughts? Another option? I have 3 Mp40s and 2 Variable Tunze to work with.

30bde18eeb3d9946bd45f6b1a828e0a6.jpg

Do the mp40 reach the entire 7’? I have never owned them but if either the tuner or mp40 can reach the entire tank or pretty close to it have them blow against the front and then move one to the middle and have the other two move water across the back I like your first option with the two tunze moving water in a cross pattern at the two rock towers

Do the mp40 reach the entire 7’? I have never owned them but if either the tuner or mp40 can reach the entire tank or pretty close to it have them blow against the front and then move one to the middle and have the other two move water across the back I like your first option with the two tunze moving water in a cross pattern at the two rock towers

Vortechs do not reach 7’ however the Tunze would.

After lots of reading and watching videos about flow, my solution was option 2. I moved one Vortech to the center of the Tank at a lower intensity pulse mode, and moved the 2 side Vortechs closer to the front and higher at 100% Reef Creat during the day anti sync. The Tunze were setup to blow across the back of the Tank anti sync to 100%. Instantly started seeing things move and clear that hadn’t. Already have better polyp extension on a few SPS. Here’s a quick iphone vid of the Tank.

• Like 1