centex99's 40G Breeder Build

centex99

I was looking at that one... more than I wanted to spend really but looks nice.  Though 1.5" drains x 3 are way overkill, especially for my tank.  I guess I could put 1.5->1 couplers right at the outer overflow box though... Seems there's a guy up north of Austin who makes similar ones to modular marine's... stuff on ebay mentions tx holey rocks...  I think I need my exterior box to be slightly lower than my interior box though (because of trim heights on the inside being shorter than the outside trim) which the modular marine one looked that way, but his didn't.

I'm also considering just buying some acyrlic and making them myself... I know I could do one if it was just a 4 sided box... I'm not entirely sure if I could manage to make nice 90 degree bends on the boxes though...

• 2 weeks later...

Have gotten a bit further in construction of my stand, but not as far as I'd like.  Basic box is done, needs a top, trim, doors, canopy built, and finished.  Will work on it more tomorrow/this weekend and take some pictures.  Still determining my overflow and also trying to figure out how to make the canopy open for access to feeding fish/etc.  For larger tasks such as vacuuming/etc, I don't mind pulling it off, but for daily tasks, I need to hinge it or add a door or something.

Have my 20G QT up and am doing a quick cycle with some bio-spira.  Also got some saltwater ready to go for a tank transfer of a pair of clowns I hope to buy sometime this weekend.  I figured they can live in the QT until I get my 40 setup.

I did order 40 pounds of BRS reef safer rock to go in the tank and hopefully will get that next week so can start thinking about some scaping ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

9b56978831f86b453e6d093f96cbbf5c.jpg
Got a bit further on my stand... Need to build the U shape behind the aquarium still, add trim and doors... And paint/stain.
Anyone have any idea how heavy is too heavy for a canopy? Its all 3/4 ply and once I add the lights and trim, I'm a bit worried. It's already pretty heavy.

Have two clowns in my 20qt waiting on this build... They made it thru ttm...

Alao here is a pic of my favorite scape so far....
f46a5f88cde0c9b2d1db44259d5fa4d8.jpg

Archived