Ph...

dpotts

I have a new 29g biocube that I just added my cleaning crew too. My pH is reading 7.7. What range should the pH be and do I need to do anything with my pH?

Thanks,

Deanna

Hi, at soon as you make your salt mix you should have at least ph of 8.2. Your live rock and sand will act like a buffer. Try a water chnge, ( remember this is a remedy not the solution ) or use a buffer and start searching for your problem because unless you heavily stoked, this is not supose to hapen.

It's not overstocked because I only have 15 snails and 15 hermit crabs in it. I also buy pre-mixed salt water from my LFS. It's a new tank so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll take a sample to my LFS this week in case I'm just not testing right at home.

Deanna

• 2 weeks later...

I would do a water change. Then you should wait 24 hours and teat your ph in the middle of the day. When testing ph it is important to do it at the same time every time. If you test at night the ph will be low. I would also take your water into a LFS and have them test it to get a second opinion.

It is not odd for new nanos to run with a low ph. if the problem continues after the water change I would buy a ph buffer and use it whenever necessary.