Bluemoon's 80g Rimless - Swimming in the shallows.

Bluemoon

I really like the minimalist design. I think I'm sold on that for my 120 build. This really looks cool. I would prefer a shallower tank as well, but I have to go with what I have 4' wide x 3' tall.

Do you have a list of all the coral, inverts, and fish that are in this tank?

Dig it!

On filter socks:  I use them every couple of weeks for about 12hrs.  Drop one in place and get out the turkey baster to blast the detritus and algae and whatever else off the rocks, break up anything crusting on the sand surface  and scrape the glass (I do the front panes every other/third day or so, but the back pane is a...well, a pain.  Crank up the flow and go back w/ the blaster every :30 or so throughout the evening, then pull the sock in the morning.  

• 2 weeks later...

Video update:

Not too much has changed this week with the tank. Slowly settling into a light cycle and pleasantly surprised how the new rock is coloring up already. I was expecting a lot less coralline and a lot more diatoms! *knock on wood* I think the gfo reactor and high flow are helping a lot with this.

Speaking of flow. I might be putting the pp-15 up for grabs soon and downgrading to 2 rw-8s. I love the gyre flow I get by blasting the current off the opposite side of the tank but even at lowest power and pointing upwards I still have sand be blown around.

If I can't figure out a solution this week, I'll just cut my losses and accept that I'll need to pick and choose my high flow areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good.  It seems like the clowns each staked out their own anemone?

Thanks Jim! Yes, the clowns certainly have their favorites, all though big momma does let the little guy come host the bigger nem at lights out. Got them at a first of the year RCA sale 4 years ago now, and have watched them grow from tiny little babies to pellet devouring monsters. The female is almost as big as the tangs, and doesn't hesitate to let everyone know it. They've been laying eggs for the past year, and I hope to see them continue in the new tank.

Ditto what everyone else said on the scape. Very nice. Tranquil. Hopefully those RBTAs stay put on the gooseneck island.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard sir. Still remember driving by as you picked up the huge old cube tank from one of my neighbors. Seems forever ago now. Man, me too! I check my webcam at least once a day with the fear that I'm going to see one of the nems taking a lap - waiting to start placing corals until I know they are happy.

Welcome aboard sir. Still remember driving by as you picked up the huge old cube tank from one of my neighbors. Seems forever ago now. Man, me too! I check my webcam at least once a day with the fear that I'm going to see one of the nems taking a lap - waiting to start placing corals until I know they are happy.

Which tank was that? I've picked up quite a few used huge tanks in my life (more than I care to admit really). Kinda like reef STDs the used tank market. :)

If I knew I could keep an RBTA or sunburst off my SPS rocks, I'd get one but I'm worried about the walking dead as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived