Ich and corals ... HELP!!!

Jonathan Gonzales

So I got 2 clownfish (1st fish to add to tank) and I did not quarantine as they are my first fish to add. What could happen? Ich happened! So my question is what is safe to use for ich if you have corals? I have several zoas/palys, 3 acan lords and 1 acan echinata, 1 mushroom, and 1 duncan. I read that copper based treatments are a definite no. Any advice on best treatment options? Other than setup a QT for future fish?

The only way to "Treat" the fish is to remove them and treat with Copper or Tank Transfer in a separate tank.

Otherwise, the fish can live with ich as long as it's not getting too high of a population, depends on your husbandry and health of the fish.

No such thing as coral safe ich treatment currently. You'll have to remove and treat the fish in their own tank and leave the tank fallow for a recommended 76 days.

That being said, clowns are usually pretty resilient to ich as they have super thick slime coats. I would suspect brooklynella or marine velvet. Look up pictures of both and see if it looks like what the clowns have.

I'm in the camp that UV sterilizers can eradicate ick from a tank but it's a lot better to use a QT. I've had sporadic results with Metrodoniazole and Kick-Ich and would consider them more as a last resort if a QT isn't an option for some reason.

So it looks like whatever they had cleared up on its own. Didn't have QT and didn't want to loose my coral. Well now the black one keeps swimming on his side and not sure if he is just weird (true Austinite?) or something else could be going on. Any advice will be appreciated. Pics below

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the process of putting my remaining 2 fish(out of 5) in a QT with hyposalinity. I'm not sure what the outcome will be as I'm not positive it's ick. I will monitor them in hypo for a couple of days. If they don't get any relief I'll have to figure out a different approach. As far as the swimming on the side. I hope I'm wrong, but that's usually a very bad sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Archived