Sand Advice

Chopper65

I hope Im putting this in the right area, I didn't see a beginner section to ask it. I did do a search, but after 2 hours of reading threads I thought Id just ask.

My plan is to put my rock directly on the bottom glass and fill around it with the sand.

I will also be adding sand sifting fish and such later as well. I like the look of fine sand, but dont like sandstorms either. I'll have med to high flow.

#1. Do i need to cover the bottom glass with egg crate to put the rock on and cover in sand?

#2. I don't want a DSB, is 1" to 1 1/2" enough for the type of fish I'm wanting to add?

#3. The dreaded which brand and size to get question. I think I have it narrowed down to three.

Carib Sea special grade reef

Tropic Eden Mesoflakes

Bahama Aragonite Sand from Marco Rocks

I have no experience with the size of these or the brands. Im just going by all the research Ive done and tried to pick what seems would fit to what I want it to do.

Help with the questions and suggestions and advice please.

Thanks

1. I always put my rocks directly on the glass and add sand around them. If you add wrasses or fish that sleep in the sand then you want to avoid egg crate or add a deeper sand bed. If a fish damages its mouth burying in the sand, then it's as good as dead.
  2. 1" to 1.5" is enough sand if you don't keep any fish that sleep in the sand. Also, sand sifting gobies tend to pile up the sand in mounds and you'll see the bottom. I would go with 2-3" if you want to keep sand sifting gobies, wrasses, breams, etc.
  3. Out of those choices I would also go with the Caribsea. I like medium grain sands. The finer sands blow around and crushed coral isn't good for sand dwelling fish.

I like using eggcrate since I have fairly large, tall rock structures sitting on relatively small bases and I want to avoid any pressure points on the glass. In most instances only 1/2" to 3/4" covers the eggcrate pretty good. Rock and shells can be pretty sharp and I can't see eggcrate being any sharper, I've never seen anything in my tanks injure themselves on it.. I personally would avoid the sand sifting star, the only times I've known them to survive long term (my suspicion is they should live decades) is in large tanks with large open areas of sand.

Thanks for the responses, I guess when the time comes I will decide about the eggcrate, depending on how I aquascape it.

Timfish, I wasn't considering a sand sifting star, was more talking about gobys and shrimp, but thanks for the info.

. . . Timfish, I wasn't considering a sand sifting star, was more talking about gobys and shrimp, but thanks for the info.

Sorry! I read through your post too fast. hmm.png

No reason to be sorry at all :)

I was actually interested in them at one time but after reading how hard they were to keep Ive decided to stick to a goby :)

Im here to learn from you guys and appreciate all input.

Archived