Choppers 180

Chopper65

I noticed that Ocean Revive is running a good sale on their Arctic 247 on the 23rd.....is anyone running these and if so how do you like them?

I think I saw FarmerTy was running them at one time but I cant seem to find what Im looking for.

I run them with T5 supplementation. Very happy with the results.

I also modified them and swapped out all my 10k, red, and green diodes (10 total per fixture) to warm white diodes. Probably cost me less than $7/fixture to do.

Stock LED:

http://youtu.be/FtMlwl3LYr0

Modified LED:

http://youtu.be/zSLWq1DDKGo

Dang beautiful tank, I cant tell a difference in the two, but Im colorblind, but the tank looks nicely lit up.

Why did you take the green and red diodes out?

I was thinking I needed 3 of the 247's for a 6' tank, am I correct in this?

For now I will just get the 247's and maybe later supplement with T5's when my budget recovers.

Dang beautiful tank, I cant tell a difference in the two, but Im colorblind, but the tank looks nicely lit up.

Why did you take the green and red diodes out?

I was thinking I needed 3 of the 247's for a 6' tank, am I correct in this?

For now I will just get the 247's and maybe later supplement with T5's when my budget recovers.

Thanks!

You don't need the red and green diodes... Manufacturer just speculatively put them in there to try to cover their bases with spectrum.

Yes, 3 will cover 6' but depending how deep your tank is, you may need to supplement front and back of tank. That's why I chose to add the T5 supplement but I'm also keeping mainly high light loving SPS so if you're keeping softies and LPS front and back of tank, the LEDs just might be all that is needed.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. Im not sure I could replace diodes unless I seen a video explaining EXACTLY how to do it lol

Im pretty good with a soldering iron, just havent done anything like that before. I would think adding that many more soft whites would give

you some good lighting for the whites. I really dont plan on alot of SPS at least not until I get comfortable doing easier corals first and keeping my water in good shape.

The tank is 72 X 24 X 24 so good to know it will only take 3 of these.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. Im not sure I could replace diodes unless I seen a video explaining EXACTLY how to do it lol

Im pretty good with a soldering iron, just havent done anything like that before. I would think adding that many more soft whites would give

you some good lighting for the whites. I really dont plan on alot of SPS at least not until I get comfortable doing easier corals first and keeping my water in good shape.

The tank is 72 X 24 X 24 so good to know it will only take 3 of these.

FWIW, I had never touched a soldering iron before I made the modifications to the light, nor ever opened up one of their fixtures before. Pretty straightforward I say, even better than you're handy with a soldering iron. You will void your warranty though so do at your own risk.

I thought the fixture looked just fine before but I do appreciate the color I have now as well after the modification.

Did you do a step by step on it with pictures by any chance? lol

I have read about people removing the optics, but not actually replacing the diodes.

I could def. see a benefit in adding more warm whites.

Where did you get the diodes?

I havent seen the fixture in person, but have watched a bunch of videos on them, including yours.

Did you do a step by step on it with pictures by any chance? lol

I have read about people removing the optics, but not actually replacing the diodes.

I could def. see a benefit in adding more warm whites.

Where did you get the diodes?

I havent seen the fixture in person, but have watched a bunch of videos on them, including yours.

Sadly, I didn't take pictures and document. Pretty straightforward, open it up, disconnect cables, twist off the lenses on the diodes you are replacing, touch each solder point and remove diode, replace with new diode using same solder on the board (matching + to + and - to -), reconnect wires, and close it back up.

Gig'em and I just did our backup units this past week and it took less than 30 mins to do.

Check with RCA for the Ocean Revive units if you haven't ordered yet. They just became a wholesaler and might be able to save you some money.

I went a different route and ordered two of the Photon 32-v2 from Reef Breeders.

They had a sale and saved a little money, tho not nearly as cheap had I gotten the Ocean Revives.

I have a friend who has them and loves them and he talked me into them.

Has anyone tried the mounts that ReefKoi sells?

I like the mount, not the price tag and not sure if it would sag over a 6' tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Uggg aggravated at BRS at the moment. I ordered 100 pounds of pukani and specified no extra large rocks.

Two boxes arrived today, lots of rubble in both boxes and 1 massive rock in each box.

They will both fit, but I really didnt want to do it that way.

I guess my idea of extra large and their idea of it is totally two different things.

Hey Jolt, yes Ive seen it, Ive actually watched the whole 52 week series and go back and watch others from time to time.

I know that one isnt part of that series, but thanks for that reminder though. I watched it again and got some good ideas from it.

Archived