New sump woes

bgautrea

Hi everyone,

I built a new sump for my 46 bowfront this past weekend with a 20H i picked up during the petco $1 a gallon sale a couple weeks back. Used GE Silicone II - 100% Silicone to put the baffles in it. I waited 48 hours to give the silicone extra time to cure (double the 24 hour time the tube shows for cure time) before replacing the 20 long sump that didn't fit under my stand, had no baffles or fuge or anything.

I quickly noticed all my corals were retracting and the fish were acting strange after adding the new sump. Firefish seems to be breathing heavily (maybe) and the cleaner shrimp was a little off as well, but it had molted last night so it may just be adjusting to its new shell. Snails seem unaffected. Everything else is hiding as is pretty normal during the day.

Also ran carbon for a couple of hours, but that was not fixing it (at least not fast enough).

I thought 100% silicone was just that, but I'm now reading how many mixed (with some quite horrible) reviews there are on GE Silicone II.

Either way - I have now stopped running water from the new sump into the DT. I have also moved all the corals over to my 40B that is separate from the 46. Fish (3 chromis, 1 royal gramma, and 1 firefish), cleaner and peppermint shrimp, emerald crab, and a half dozen snails are still in the 46. Powerheads are still running in the DT, and I put a heater in it as well.

I will remove the new sump and replace with the old sump, but should I -

a) move all of the livestock (fish and inverts) to the 40B?

b) do a 100% water change on the 46?

c) move the live rock in the 46 elsewhere?

d) remove the sand?

e) some or all of the above?

And aside from the live things in the tank, I assume i should remove the GE Silicone II i put in the new 20H sump and replace with some other silicone... thoughts on that or just let that thing cure for a couple of weeks?

thanks for the advice.

--brian

I would do a 50% and run a bag of carbon or carbon GFO. And a carbon filter pad. Run that for a few days. Usually carbon doesn't work that quick to the human eye. So I would give it a few days and put one fish in and see how it does. Hope you don't lose anything [emoji37]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly, the GE Silicon II has the anti-mold stuff in it which is not reef safe. You want the GE Silicon I, which doesn't have the additives in it.

I would try to remove the silicon from the sump and re-do it with Silicon I.

Thanks... i'm making fresh RODI now to do a w/c tonight. hopefully my critters will make it till then. I will certainly use a different silicone. if i can find any humor in this, it is the 100% silicone is not really 100% silicone in this case.... at least not with respect to how it cures and the chemicals it releases while curing.

Yea Ty....

I know patience is part of this hobby. And I'm really guilty of being anxious a lot of the time, but I really didn't feel like I was jumping the gun here.... either way I will wait for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yea Ty....

I know patience is part of this hobby. And I'm really guilty of being anxious a lot of the time, but I really didn't feel like I was jumping the gun here.... either way I will wait for sure.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't know what you're talking about with rushing... As I am running my fallow period for the 3rd time over. [emoji6] We're all human.

Ty do you remember the silicone i sold you? I agree with TY, let it cure atleast a week. Maybe even put it outside in the sun to make sure. The silicone i sold TY works well and is the same stuff GlassCages uses

Dow Corning 732 Clear silicone sir. It's on the first page of my build thread. I'm surprised you missed it. [emoji12]

I stick w/ the "aquarium silicon" from the pet stores. you get a lot less while paying more... but its safe. if it smells like vinegar, you know its not set yet :)

I'm up in RR as well, if you need water, ping me whenever.. I work from home.

Ty do you remember the silicone i sold you? I agree with TY, let it cure atleast a week. Maybe even put it outside in the sun to make sure. The silicone i sold TY works well and is the same stuff GlassCages uses

Dow Corning 732 Clear silicone sir. It's on the first page of my build thread. I'm surprised you missed it. [emoji12]

I've used this stuff too. And the way I know it's the real deal is it smells to high heaven of vinegar just like the expensive little tube of "aquarium silicone" from the pet store. But if you're just doing a 20H sump, the aquarium tube will be more than enough, I only bought the big tube of Dow to rebuild an aquarium. You're welcome to come by and take the rest of my tube if you want it.

Archived