Back in the game with a 125 shallow reef build!

devildog1986

Coming along nicely! The only things I can think of are to not plug the heater in until you're sure you need it, and if you're going to use an Apex or similar, keep the temp probe in a different section from your heater, and pH probe away from a doser if you end up dosing alk. Or away from your ato if you use kalk.

Thanks,

The sump has a reservoir for auto top off built into it. The guy I got it from put a probe holder where my return pump goes for the temperature probe. Definitely gonna get an Apex. I'm just waiting till all the kinks are taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally I added the rock and water to my tank. I'm making more RODI water right now. I should be able to fill it all the way in the next day or two. Right now it's just RODI water. Once I fill it all the way I'll mix in the salt.

As far as the rock, it looks nice. But I got so much rubble, it's not even funny. There's white spots where the rock broke off during shipping. But it'll get full of coralline in no time. I guess on the plus side, I won't have to buy Frag plugs in a very long time lol. The rock looks beautiful. It's what we all try to achieve on a established tank. Best part is that its man made rock. I've bought live rock straight from the ocean, and it was a nightmare! Aiptasia everywhere. A lot of little predators that would eat at my coral. It just wasn't worth it. 3192184c3d2ef857678fc39997834858.jpg

I start a new job at the end of August in Austin, so once I get in routine, I will be building a stand and canopy for my aquarium. I wasn't happy with the amount of shims I had to use. So I will be building a stand with an exposed bottom. It'll be a whole lot more stable and easier to level.

Been on hold, waiting for ups to deliver my sand. They lost the package, and ended up in California. Then they say I won't get it until Tuesday. I ordered the sand on the 4th of August! Stupid UPS. I really hope they didn't pop one of the bags!

You are going to fill it and then build a new stand for it? Why not cycle the rock and sand outside the tank, build the new stand and then set it up?

I'm not building the stand any time soon. Maybe in the next few months. Once I build a stand I'll probably just go with a rimless tanks. But for the meantime it's about ideas, and creating a mock up to make sure I'm happy with the stand. Also, the wood I'm using is going to be hard to find, not to mention pricey. Hope this answers your question. I definitely need to build one. But I'm not doing it in the next few weeks.

Finally got my external pump in. Time to finish my setup. The only thing I need is a large amount of hosing. Any idea what hoses will be safe? Worst case scenario I'll probably go with acrylic hosing. It just becomes a tangled mess! 30d48eb31c16553ee2c522c34cee1ee8.jpg

The sand finally came in yesterday. After 14 days lol. The epoxy also came in. So it's time to aquascape the tank. This will be the first time I do it with a 4 yr old and 2 yr old around lol.

Aquascape get 125 lbs of live rock is more challenging than I thought. Then again what brings it together will be the corals. Lots of caves, lots of little arches, two channels, and many levels for a mixed reef. My main goal was to make sure everything was stable, and for the rocks to look like 1 solid piece of rock. 08aea18650288132b8142492632d43ef.jpg

The rock is beautiful and the aquascape looks great! I like the 2 channels and plenty of room for coral growth.

Thank you. There's also caves but you can't really see them. The sand made everything pop. Once the tank is clear, I'll post a pic.

How did all the sand get on top of the rock like that?

I've always aquascaped my rock first, then I make it snow with the sand at the end, to make sure the sand gets in all the little gaps between the glass and rock. Making it more stable. At least, theoretically lol.

I'm guessing the water was in the tank before the sand, yes? I do rock, sand, water. That way I can move the rock in/out/around easier, get the sand leveled, and avoid the storm.

Diggin' the triple island scape look! Great job!

Thanks, I actually feel like the sand popped with the real reef. That was the goal forms as well, but UPS lost my package. The rock got to my LFS, and I didn't want too much die off on the rock. I had some left over that I will attempt drilling and putting magnets to put against the back glass for goni's and chalices.

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys, I've been pretty busy lately, so I haven't posted an update. Here is my tank fully cycled and filled with Copepods and a few reef cleaners. My wife got me two Radions gen 4 and in my opinion for a six foot mixed reef tank two is enough. Next is a water change. Some sort of life. And coral. Probably not permanent corals but something to start my little ecosystem. I'm gonna start looking into Auto top offs. That's next. Suggestions, with past experiences regarding auto top offs is welcomed.

05405e74df9eee43612b3ad994070883.jpg

f27aaafd6d3e35b4fef437b612754d0e.jpg

Archived