temperature for a QT tank

bfrench

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following. I've been really wanting to set up a 30 gallon coral quarantine but have zero space in the house for another tank without causing mayhem with the wife. Garage would be perfect if I could solve the temp problem. Never considered running a chiller unless I found one stupid cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I can get the garage cleaned up I'll set up a tank and see what the temp is running at after a few days. Then decide if it's viable for livestock. Results to be published :-)

post-3633-146555280596_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Water feels pretty cold right now. May throw a heater in it to bring it up to 72. I'm guessing 84. The garage is on the north east side of the house and has one east facing window

Water feels pretty cold right now. May throw a heater in it to bring it up to 72. I'm guessing 84. The garage is on the north east side of the house and has one east facing window

Aww man, you have environmental knowledge of the garage that I don't. I change my answer to 86, unless your garage is also insulated... then my answer may change.

So apparently I significantly underestimated my garage's ability to warm water..... tank is about 1/3 full and sitting at 81.1. Didn't even get a chance to use a heater. May set up a fan to see if that can cool it down. Although I'm interested to see what temperature it will hit if I don't do anything. May save the salt until tomorrow

MP10 running in it, no fan on it. Thought about throwing in one of those hard blue freezer pack things we use for the ice chest.....but that would mess with the experiment

SCIENCE!

Why not use a clip on fan since that would be a more stable temp control method rather than the ice cube method which would lead to sharp rises and falls. Quarantine is hard enough on livestock as it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about that earlier. Going to let it hit it's max temp over the next few days then start implementing variables to figure out what works :-)

Archived