Naso Tang died. (cloudy eyes)

cliff

Got home last night and the Naso Tang had cloudy eyes,,,he was still eating fine so i elected to not take him out and set up the hospital tank. This morning. He was dead.... Any Ideas on what this was?

Cloudy eyes are usually a symptom of ich, sometimes marine velvet, and bacterial infections. At the speed that you noticed the symptoms to its death, I would imagine a bacterial infection. Those are pretty uncommon in a healthy and established tank.

Did you notice any other symptoms in the naso? How long as the tank been running? How long have you had the tang? Do any other fish have any symptoms? Did you add any new fish recently?

I know after the fact and not helpful but I would highly recommend QT'ing fish in the future. It could have been worse and the disease could have spread and killed all your existing fish in the display while at it.

Is the ten gallon water change on the 75g? What were your test results? It's possible that the tangs might have created a bioload higher than your tank capacity. I know that you didn't ask for my opinion. I just thought that I would bring it up as one possibility for troubleshooting.

Yes the ten gallon was for the 75g. My parameters are perfect. No spikes anywhere. So...I'm thinking bacterial infection. Lost a Naso tang. Mandarin, pink skunk clown, and a coral beauty. All in 2 days. The damsil and the wrasse survived. How do I treat this bacterial infection with coral in the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yes Sascha it's possible the tang added too much bioload. Before him I only had a damsel and a mandarin. So it more than doubled....I should have dosed live bacteria....and I didn't think to check the water parameters after he died. Very stupid of me.

If all those fish died that quickly, I'd almost suspect marine velvet as well.

Did you notice the fish swimming in front of powerheads at night? A light dusting of what looks like sugar in the skin?

Yes the ten gallon was for the 75g. My parameters are perfect. No spikes anywhere. So...I'm thinking bacterial infection. Lost a Naso tang. Mandarin, pink skunk clown, and a coral beauty. All in 2 days. The damsil and the wrasse survived. How do I treat this bacterial infection with coral in the tank?

You cannot. You will have to remove the fish and treat. Continue with water changes as well to improve water quality in the tank.

Hard to tell but I thought I saw some white spots on the wrasse. Looks more like ich than velvet to me. Ich can kill your fish but at the rate yours are dying, I'd only assume bacterial or marine velvet was involved.

Any fish left in the tank?

Going fallow comes with it's own set of consequences. I would research it for your own piece of mind.

Can you elaborate on this? I haven't found any bad stuff related to a fallow period. In my mind they have a bacteria or parasite. How am I supposed to add fish to an infected water system? How would you treat this?

Going fallow comes with it's own set of consequences. I would research it for your own piece of mind.

Can you elaborate on this? I haven't found any bad stuff related to a fallow period. In my mind they have a bacteria or parasite. How am I supposed to add fish to an infected water system? How would you treat this?

Not aware of too many consequences either other than lowered nutrient levels when removing fish.

I would just leave the tank fallow for 60 days just to cover yourself for marine velvet and then add a tester fish that's cheap and more importantly, easy to catch in case whatever is in your system is still there. The tank must be empty of fish for the total 60 days consecutively.

I would start to employ a QT regiment from this point on and QT all fish and observe before adding to the display. While the chances are on the lower side of bringing in something that'll kill your whole tank, after living through it once, I'd try to avoid it again if possible.

It doesn't even have to be something crazy elaborate. For smaller fishes, I use a 5-gallon bucket with an air pump.

8c57d5b3e843ef424caca97cbfe2589f.jpg

Thanks Ty. I got the QT set up. Just waiting for the damsel to go into my homemade water bottle trap.

8c57d5b3e843ef424caca97cbfe2589f.jpg

Thanks Ty. I got the QT set up. Just waiting for the damsel to go into my homemade water bottle trap.

Oh, that's way fancier than my 5-gallon bucket. [emoji4]

Just keep an eye out on ammonia levels in the QT. I typically use an ammonia alert badge to help monitor levels and do water changes as needed. You can usually find them locally in the big shop pet stores.

Good luck sir!

Awesome. I have one of those. I'll throw it in. Thanks again for your help. I'm not givin up just yet.

Archived