Best sand sifter?

Jimbo662

I had the same issue with a tiger tail cucumbers, where they would pile sand around the rock structures over time. I went with black and pink sea cucumbers. They tend to distribute the sand better but aren't as voracious as the tiger tails so you need more of them.

I'm a big fan of conchs... they do a great job of keeping the sand clean.

Conchs and sand-sifting stars.

My tiger tail cuc has reproduced over the last five years, I think I have 5 now. They're great, always at work, and I haven't had an issue with them piling sand.

If you go the route of a fighting conch and want a big one, hit me up and I'll give you mine for a small frag or something. He's like 3"+ and I don't have enough open sand between my rock and glass for him to travel easily.

He's not really attacking anyone here - don't mind the snarky titles:

Whoops..forgot I posted this...

So, if I were to do the conchs how many do you think I'd need for a 6" tank? Rock work is down the center so there's 3-4" of sand around 3 sides and about a foot on the end.

I'll be honest I've yet to find a sand cleaner as effective as the golden headed sleeper goby. Doesn't make huge mountains, readily eats fish food in the water column, and sifts sand all day long. My sand is 3 years old and still looks brand new right out of the bag bleach white and fluffy. Yes...he will put a dusting on some low lying corals sometimes but nothing that hurts them and my flow is strong enough that it just blows right back off. He isn't sloppy enough that he buries stuff...but then again I don't load the sandbed up with frag plugs and treat the sandbed as a frag rack so if you're big on putting corals in the sand it may not work. I've recently adopted the philosophy of putting stuff where it will stay forever right away rather than moving it all over the tank for weeks or months. I've seen more of a positive response letting stuff light acclimate once rather than over and over as it moves up and down and all around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have 1 conch, 2 striped turbos, 2 nessarius, and 4 blue legged (?) hermits. The sand and glass in the 12g aquarium is clean, you'd obviously need more of these for a larger tank.... but I think the number I have in the tank are about right for it's size.

Another thing I've noticed is that since I don't have emerald crabs in the tank anymore there's not a bunch of crab poop swirling around in circles from the water flow in the sand. You may consider looking at what is actually dirtying your sand up and fix that "problem" if it's possible.