Pho ban and carbon reactors

tom2

Does anyone know what brand and where to get phosban? I have a twin fishy phoban reactor but they are both not being used and i need to learn how and what goes in them any ideas would be of great help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom, phosban is just a brand of GFO media, which is used to lower phosphate levels in the tank. I would test your levels first before deciding if you need to run any.

The reactors themselves can be ussd to run GFO, carbon, or biopellets usually. Like mentioned, GFO removes phosphates, carbon removes some organics and toxins, and biopellets mostly remove nitrates but also some phosphates (though you'll need to run a skimmer with them to skim the effluent of the reactor to remove bacteria produced).

Again, I'd test your levels before you decide to run anything in the reactors and see if you even need to right now.

Oh ok, still trying to understand all of this but yesterday i went to just reefs to test the water and he said the ph levels is at 0.25 ppm and that the salinity is at 1.20 also calcium is low

And theres about 2 other container that look weird in his sump that i do not know what it is one looks like a c02 bottle going into the container with rocks in it and the other is a cylinder container with a pump on the bottom of it with nothing in it. I am able to take picture for you when i get to the restaurant if you need me too

I'm guessing you meant phosphate is 0.25 ppm, which means yes, you need to start running GFO in the reactor. Anything below 0.1 ppm is usually fine. That's probably the source of your algae. You should get your nitrate level checked too.

Salinity I'm guessing you meant 1.020 which is indeed low. You want it at around 1.024-1.026. Calcium will be low unless you start dosing or stay up with regular water changes.

The reactor with the CO2 and rocks in it is the Calcium reactor. I'd wait until you learn your way around the tank first before kicking that one online. You could nuke your system really easily with that.

The other reactor should be Tim's old biopellet reactor with the pump at the bottom. You can add biopellets in it and run the eflluent to the skimmer chamber to keep your nitrates low.

[emoji33] thats alot to tank in lol....i just figured out how to use the apex and got it online from my phone and im working on the vega he has, i want to hook it up to the ceiling because the fixture he has is covering some of the light to the tank..

Everyone is different. I replace mine when I see an increase in algae growth. Some people replace it on a regular schedule, like every three months, no matter what. If you wait to long to replace the media then it will be extinguished. The new media that you replace it with will cause a dramatic drop and make everything angry.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

At the moment i think i need to clean out both of those phosban reactors cause they have been sitting like that not being used for 2 yrs sense we moved it back to austin...

Cool added some salt and raised the Salinity up to 1.025-1.026 next step is to get the phosphates reactor working and do I need to start the carbon as well??

Also is there anything else I need to run? only the skimmer is on right now and I've already cleaned out that thing twice haha

Im going to eventually want to run some sps corals. i have a couple fish right now, but i mainly just want the corals and im not sure when my tank will be ready

Before a lot of these products were widely used the only way that you could export nutrients was water changes. Then came skimmers and that prolonged the need for water changes and saved you money on salt. After that came reactors and other sorts of equipment designed to improve water quality. Each improvement reduced pollution caused by the inhabitants, allowing hobbyists to have greater fish and coral populations. The hobby used to be sort an exclusive club that seemed hard to join, but the advance of technology opened other people to the hobby by making it easier.

I like to think of it in terms of glasses. It's not completely accurate but it helps me visualize something that isn't visual. Live rock is like a shot glass. When you inhabitants to the aquarium the water rises. The biological filtration that comes with LR can only support so much life before the tank gets foul. So you add a skimmer and it's more like a drinking glass and you can add more inhabitants. It holds more but still has it's limits. The glass keeps getting bigger as you add other types of filtration designed to improve water quality. Right now you have a drinking glass that's half full of water. If you add phosphate binding material, then the glass gets bigger but the water doesn't rise.

Ok so I cleaned out both the phosban reactor and one with carbon, and I was wondering if i need to use both together sense they came hosed in together. Also, do I need to put half the required dosage of carbon and GFO or full amount?

Archived