Coral-eating urchin

KimP

So this guy has a taste for acros [emoji33] I put these new frags in yesterday, then noticed soon after the black urchin sitting right on top of them. There was this frag you can see in the pic, then a smaller stick of the same frag right next to it. The urchin sat there all evening and was still there when I last checked the tank around midnight. I thought it was unusual. Today I figured out what he was doing! The smaller stick is off to the left now, where you can't see it in the pic, but it's nearly gone, and the bigger one is clearly eaten. He'll be moved to the sump here in a few minutes. I've been having trouble with all acros the past month and was about ready to give up on keeping them, now I wonder if this guy was to blame.

post-1781-145659211242_thumb.jpg

That is annoying as urchins are so critical for controlling algae on reefs and in our aquariums.1 I mostly use short spine urchins but have several Diadem urchins, one is over 15 years old. I've had occasional spots chewed on by them but never to this extant. I have to wonder how often this happens on reefs, before the dieoff in '83 the Caribean reefs had as many as 22 per square meter. For healthy tanks that don't have an algae issue I've found, depending on size of urchin, about 1 per 100 - 200 gallons is more than sufficient but I'll use 2, 3 or 4 per 100 gallons when dealing with an outbreak of algae.

1) http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Cracking_the_Diadema_Code

That is annoying as urchins are so critical for controlling algae on reefs and in our aquariums.1 I mostly use short spine urchins but have several Diadem urchins, one is over 15 years old. I've had occasional spots chewed on by them but never to this extant. I have to wonder how often this happens on reefs, before the dieoff in '83 the Caribean reefs had as many as 22 per square meter. For healthy tanks that don't have an algae issue I've found, depending on size of urchin, about 1 per 100 - 200 gallons is more than sufficient but I'll use 2, 3 or 4 per 100 gallons when dealing with an outbreak of algae.

1) http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Cracking_the_Diadema_Code

Interesting. This doesn't make me want to get rid of all of them, just the one I caught red...uh...spined? I'll probably try a tuxedo to replace this one.

Why do you want to get another urchin?

I would frag a little bit above the dead tissue. I have better success when I cut into the "meat" and not right at the death line. Sometimes the nub starts to grow back on the dead skeleton.

Why do you want to get another urchin?

I would frag a little bit above the dead tissue. I have better success when I cut into the "meat" and not right at the death line. Sometimes the nub starts to grow back on the dead skeleton.

I'm still working on some algae growth and I like urchins. I like to cut above the death line too, good advice!

Archived