Has the economy effected your reef-keeping?

beefytang

Is the economy effecting your reef-keeping?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow. Just when you thought the economic situation couldn't get any worse in America, we have $4.00 pg gas at the pumps, unemployment jumping to 5.5% (probably higher than this) and big business is given free-reign to roll over us left and right. The cost of everything is going up and the dollar...well let's just say it's a matter of time before toilet tissue is more valuable.

So my question here is this: is the economy effecting your reef-keeping? If so, what cost-saving methods are you taking to preserve your setups? Or are you having to cash out in order to make ends meet?

If you would, participate in my poll!

Thank you

I voted that I have a big butt too. Man it's huge! It's the size of two Buck Island brain corals fused together with beef lard. But the truth is I'm hocking stuff to keep my tanks going. Maybe a real job would help. =)

Butts aside, things are tough. However I check all the forums for used equipment and getting livestock from fellow reefers. I've put way to much time and money al0ng with tears and sweat to give into the economy. . . I think we are going to see a closer knit club as times get harder!

OH and I've never seen beefytangs butt!!

Dave-

I had to vote the "I'm fine" option because, well, my reef tank is basically on cruise-control. It has been pretty much stocked to the brim for quite a while. I might be selling some corals in the future, but that is mainly because my huge toadstool leather keeps dropping pieces which I am attaching to rocks and growing whole new corals.

things are a little tough for me but ill be ok. the thing right now is that as of '08 my buisness, or rather my boss's buisness slowed down a bit. i cant say for sure that its the economy thats slowed the stone buisness down, but in any case, its affecting me. i used to rack TONS of overtime every week! but now my boss isnt allowing for any overtime. im still making enough, but i used to make loads :D . i actually look past the economy, and blame my misfortune on the merger between taylor woodrow homes, and morrison homes. they merged to form taylor morrison homes, and when they did, they kept the granite vendor for morrison, and dropped us! that was a multi-million dollar a year account, so im positive it had a huge part to play in my lack of overtime... in spite of the slow times, my boss was still cool enough to give me a giant raise recently :) which is actually kind of a slap in the face because my wife is getting ready to quit work because were having another baby. its good to have the raise but its just going to go towards paying for what my wife used to take care of.

all of that will go out the window in a few months hopefully. im trying to get a new job that at first will put me deep into a hole, but in the end will more than pay off! some of you might know that i applied for austin fire, and didnt make it in. i just applied for san antonio fire a couple of weeks ago, and if i make it in ill be taking a major pay cut. and thats when these stupid gas prices are going to do me in. its gonna cost me about $30.oo a day in gas to commute to SA and back every day for 6 months.

im sure ill be fine though. ive got a small tank :)