Could phosguard increase water clarity

ceastman

Curious if phosguard could increase water clarity? I put phosguard into my sump last night and this morning as my lights started coming on my blasto started receding a lot, I moved it from where it has been for months now (upper part of the tank) to lower near the sandbed and it seems to be recovering.

I haven't noticed anything else reacting, just thought it was really strange.

or could a colony of dying palys that I moved closer to the blasto cause it to recede? Can clownfish tell if a colony of palys is dieing? I had the colony near my clownfish and the female clownfish kept knocking it down into the sandbed....

My guess is the Phosguard dropped your phosphates too fast and ticked off your blastos. The observed recovery when moving it lower may have just been a coincidence as by then, it probably adjusted to the change in phosphate levels. That or typically when a coral is stressed, they can become sensitive to higher light so you moving them down helped them cope.

My clownfish will try to remove anything placed near their "spot". I don't think they are doing it because something may be dying.

neon reefer - yep rinsed in rodi water and placed in a fine mesh bag,

jestep - so how to reduce slowly? hanna checker said it was .03 yesterday.

I typically use normal strength GFO so not sure how the efficiency compares, but just starting out, I would go with half of the recommended amount at the very most. For GFO, 1 Tbsp per 10 gallons is usually a safe starting point, and ramp up to about 1 Tbsp per 5 gallons over the course of 1 - 2 months if needed. All coral need PO4 to grow, so you don't want to strip it all out of the water anyway.

neon reefer - yep rinsed in rodi water and placed in a fine mesh bag,

jestep - so how to reduce slowly? hanna checker said it was .03 yesterday.

At 0.03 ppm I would not be trying to lower it anymore. That seems to be in in accepted range for stony corals. Some try for <0.02 ppm but many reefers claim it is too low. I fall into that camp where 0.02 -0.04 is the best range for most all corals except maybe some of the most difficult SPS.

But to answer your original question Can Phosguard help with water clarity. I would think no and say that Purigen may act more of a water clarifier as would carbon.

Archived