Resealing tank?

Captexas

Wasn't sure which forum would be the best one for this. Finally filled up my 240g tank I bought used awhile back and has been sitting in the house for awhile waiting. Unfortunately as soon as I got it filled two of the vertical joints started leaking at the top. This is an old DAS tank so it has the angled front corners which are where the leaks are. I'm a bit worried that if I try to silicone over those areas that it could just come apart at a later date.

Is there anyone in the Austin area that will come to you to reseal an aquarium? It was a major ordeal getting this thing in the house as big as it is so I can't really take it to someone.

I definitely would not just silicone over the old silicone. New silicone doesn't stick to old silicone. Especially if you see an active leak... means the internal seal between the glass panes have been compromised so you would have to remove the pane of glass entirely, scrape all the old silicone off, and then reseal the entire pane of glass. To do that though, you would have to remove the trim which is just as labor intensive of a project... at least it was for me personally. Then you would need to replace the trim or get a custom one made. I ended up getting a custom stainless steel trim made for my tank with two cross braces.

IMO, for 240 gals, unless you trust your ability to reseal glass or someone else's ability to do that, I would look for a new tank and pass that project along to someone else that has resealed tanks before or doesn't mind the risk of 240 gals spilling out in their living room.

I say that as a person that resealed the front panel of his 215-gallon tank. It was very labor intensive, very nerve-racking the entire time, and then when I finished it, I had to get a custom stainless steel trim installed on top as I started to see the panel lean out from my seal job from the pressure of the water. The new trim did it and kept it nice and tight but I still wonder sometimes how long it will hold up in the long run. Do I have 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? 1 more year? It's been sitting pretty for 2 years now.

+1 on what Ty said. I bought a leaking tank this year and tried resealing it. Scarped all the old silicone off without removing the glass panel and resealed it. The tank held perfectly for a week before leaking again. I then removed the panel to reseal completely, but then dropped a tool on the glass and shattered it rendering the project one of my worst investment/mistakes of the year. I would hire someone to come in and do it or throw it up for sale and eat your losses before it gets worse.

I've reasealed tanks in the past and you're better off just replacing it. I have one tank now I fixed 10 - 12 years ago but the last tank I tried fixing I ended up replacing because it kept leaking from different places. After that experience once one joint has failed I would consider all the joints suspect. Trying to cut it apart and completely redoing it is a real hassle but if you have the time it is an option.

Archived