LoCo 57g Illuminata

LoganC

So I've been on the forums for some time now, have met quite a few of you through meets/ pick ups, or over the three years that I worked for RCA. I've been in the hobby since I was 11, almost 17 years, collect designer clowns, and mainly high end frags :) I have not started a tank build thread in some time due to lack of interest. The current setup I've been working on getting together has restored my passion for the hobby and figured I would start a thread to share, and to track this systems progress over the next few years. It's always nice to have a sudden burst of passion and restored motivation when you get a new "toy"!

The plan is to consolidate my current reef systems that range in age from 3-8 years old: 29g frag tank, a 29 biocube, and a standard 55 gallon all into the 57g Oceanic Illuminata. It will be packed full! The Illuminata was one of my dreams working for RCA, but they have since been discontinued. Held out, and recently came across a used one for sale!

Tank specs:

*57g Oceanic Illuminata, rimless with internal overflow. 36x18x22 picked up used from someone who upgraded.

*Pine stand in black, 36" tall, 56" to top of tank. I like that I can stand and view my tank without having to bend over too much, but I also don't want to have to use a stool to reach the sand bed. This height is perfect! Glass comes up to my armpit with my arm in tank, ha! Still needs some touch up painting...

*20Long sump with glass baffles

*Precision Marine-150 skimmer

*Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor/maxi jet 600

*Eheim 200w Heater

*Mag 7 return pump

*Bulk Reef Supply Doser, 1.1mil/min x2

*need to pick up a small light for some chaeto in the refugium chamber

Display

*Mp-10w x2

*Aqua Illuminations Hydra 26 x2

*Aqua Illuminations 90 Degree Arm Bars x2

*Also picking up a small black cabinet to stick beside the aquarium, to hold a 5 gallon jug with my Tunze Auto Top off, and to have a small work space to frag right next to the system.

I got the system plumbed this weekend, leak test held perfect. Plans to transfer everything from the other systems over as soon as I can muster up enough energy to start the process! Currently a 55g reef is setup where I want the Illuminata so it will be a full day of fun reef work! I picked up some 5/8" acrylic dowels from Regal Plastics and plan on doing some crazy rock structures as well.

Current stock will be mixed reef: tons of lps, softies, rainbow bubble tips, and true mini anemones. Also plans to keep my millepora colonies altogether on one ledge/shelf.

Fish: already have,

*Designer Clown Harem- Sustainable aquatics Buckshot Ocellaris Dominant Female, Davinchi Picasso male, ORA Platinum Sub male, Blood Orange Misbar Sub male (locally bred), and an ORA Black Domino Sub male.

*Molly Milller Blenny x2 (wild caught a couple years ago)

*ORA Green Banded Goby x2

*Four Line Wrasse, large male

*Randalli Goby, HUGE aka the Beast

All fish went through 45 day quarantine in copper, and have been in my care for at least 6 months at this point.

Plans to add a couple smaller gobies, and an Atlantic Pygmy angelfish. This tank will have a heavy bioload, but predominantly smaller fish that keep to their own areas. I also do 10-20% bi-weekly water changes. My clowns rarely leave the rbta's, green banded goby pair have a particular hole in a piece of lr rubble they don't stray far from, beast digs a hole and hangs halfway in/out "flexing" his fin all day, and my molly millers post up on opposing montis in the 55. Only open swimmer is my 4 line wrasse, and the little platinum clown. Hopefully adding a Pygmy Atlantic and possibly a smaller species of blue damsel as the last couple fish will add more free swimmers.

Started transferring everything over! Consolidation and fragging down some large colonies that won't fit, will just let a frag grow into the system :) really digging my rock work, picking up new sand today and I'll transfer the other two systems into here once the sand has settled. Already added the bonded clown pair, and a molly miller blenny. I will introduce the sub male clowns into breeder boxes for a week or so, so that they can re acclimate with the bonded pair. Using a temporary 4 bulb t5 til aqua illumination has the mounting bars in black back in stock!

Current stock, designer clown trio, 4 line wrasse, and a molly miller (who was seen nipping my sps and will be caught). Beast, my Randalli goby jumped, rip :(, got a glass lid now! Kind of throws off the rimless but I love my fish!

Plans to add some small fish, any opinions?

Atlantic Pygmy angel vs royal gramma, wanting to add some purple/yellow, either one. Or a purple firefish, and a clown goby, both?

Still plans to add a couple more sub male designer clowns, and the tiny green banded goby pair.

That would put me at 9/10 small fish, and reallllly thinking about getting this trio of marshals island anthias into quarantine.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up an extremely rare Rose Island Dottyback from the RCA sale. He's gorgeous, looks like a dottyback with solar fairy wrasse markings. Really awesome fish, doing good in quarantine.

Archived