The Beast with Two Hearts

JasReef

I have a question about plumbing on my my tank room build and thought it might be a good time to start a build thread so here it is.

Beast

160 gallon 65X24X24

100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank

Hearts

Reeflo Barracuda/Hammerhead gold hybrid for sump and manifolds

Ecotec Vertex L1 with Oceans Motion for closed loop

Here is a pic today

5d3dd4218b032f84c6b6d8bc1925bade.jpg

My question. How does the plumbing look? Nothing is glued yet but I am ready to start but before I do I thought I would try and put the eyes of Austin reefers on it and see what I may have missed.

I have to drill a 1 1/2 inch hole for the return. I am just not 100% sure about the vectra being up there so I am waiting. I have the glass bit and bulkhead but I will have to drill the hole as it sits. I already did a couple of 2 inch bulkheads for the ghost overflow but the tank was in the garage and I was able to drill down+contain the mess. Should be fun.

The plan is for no powerheads in the main tank so I want as little head loss as possible that's why it's up so high.

I just keep messing around in the tank trying to simulate maintanance tasks and see if it gets in my way so far I am tall enough to get my arms in no problem. I have access from the front also.

f6fe84f54ffd0c2da9dc018b820b4c2d.jpg

I plan on doing a wet test this weekend unless someone sees something crazy.[emoji12]

Sorry I had to go grab some parts to finish it.
This should help.

This tank was predrilled with 3 inch bulkheads spread across the back. I drilled and installed the ghost overflow (you can see the three 1 1/2" returns pipes) This left 3 holes that were not in use.

The two drilled outer holes are part of the OM. They have the 1 inch spaflex. Then I ran a couple pvc pipes for the front 2 OM returns.

I still need to drill 1 1/2 inch return for the CL.

That leaves the middle hole. I decided not to waste it and just ran off the main return. So 2 returns come down front (those two straight pipes coming down from main are stand ins until I order 2 more 1" valves) and 1 connects to back. It is not connected to the CL system, just close to it.

So 7 total returns combined from the two pumps for all the flow in DT . 4 oceans motion (OM) returns plus 3 returns from the sump.

I am not sure exactly how much flow will end up in the DT but it will be a lot. There are many ways to redirect flow with valves and some options for where to put the redirected flow.

Lastly both pumps are adjustable. The Reeflo is designed to run more efficiently when forced with head pressure and I can artificially create that or I can just use the manifolds and recirculate it in the sump to lower the output to the DT. The vectra is much easier to control flow rates so that's why it's on the CL.

I do understand this is a lot of gph if ran full out but that won't happen in this tank. I enjoy the building and planning and consider it part of the process so this was all designed to be pretty easy to upgrade the DT when the time comes. [emoji6]

Ahh, I see now. That makes more sense. The only thing I'd maybe do is possibly add unions to your OM connections in case you ever need to service or replace it. I've never had a OM so if there is a simple disconnect system built-in, then ignore.

Are you planning to use penductors for your terminal ends of return piping?

I actually ramped my old gold hybrid reeflo down as well when I used one. I can't wait to have a fish room one day so I can put it online again.

Ahh, I see now. That makes more sense. The only thing I'd maybe do is possibly add unions to your OM connections in case you ever need to service or replace it. I've never had a OM so if there is a simple disconnect system built-in, then ignore.

Are you planning to use penductors for your terminal ends of return piping?

I actually ramped my old gold hybrid reeflo down as well when I used one. I can't wait to have a fish room one day so I can put it online again.

Thanks Ty, I do think some unions would be in order on the CL for sure.

The fish room was an unexpected and pleasant surprise. We just bought the house in May so I just laid claim to as much room as I could and then this happened.[emoji57]

I forgot to change the word main to sump return 3. There is the 1 1/2 sump "main" with the 3 returns split off of it.

I'm not sure on penductors yet. Right now they are all 1 inch returns. I need to get it flowing and then decide how and what kind of water force focus (ie. Penductor) I want on the ends.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween! We had a good turn out in the new neighborhood here in New Braunfels, it was a lot of fun. After all the trick or treaters I got around to making a video of the first wet test.

So far only two small leaks with threaded fittings, when you think you have enough thread tape on, use more! haha.

Here is a video. This is just a wet test with regular ol' tap water. The rocks are in there just to give an idea of what is happening with flow.

I need to dial in the bean animal as it is a little noisy and shouldn't be but I am happy with the results so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llBFo6XIc5M

I also had to turn on the lights. I went with 2x 250 watt 14K halides, 2x 80w T5's and 3 moonlight led's. The fixture is a 60" Hamilton Belize Sun.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived