Phosphate!!

M6S1K3

Ok so my tank has phosphate now. No idea how or why.

I've always been careful on feeding, ran gfo. The works but now I have it and nothing is helping.

I have algae sprouting up everywhere. I'm changing gfo every day. I'm doing 25% water change every 2 days. I'm running phosphate reducing pads. I've limited feeding even more.

I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've also had phosphate levels go up when introducing live rock from other sources. I "think" that rock absorbs phosphates and if moved to a low phosphate environment, then releases it. Otherwise known as leaching. I'm pretty sure that was an issue I had for a while with an old tank after adding rock into it from another reefers tank.

Thanks for the comments. To address in order. Nothing has died. Auto feeder is off and has been for a while. And RO/DI filters/resin are brand new. Like just bought a new rodi unit from brs. 6stage 150gpd upgrade to the universal plus rodi unit. So that's good. And I have not added any rock since the tanks start. All the same.

Not discounting any of your thoughts. Just answering /responding to them. I really want to know why this happens

Oh and as far as food I have Been using the same frozen food since day one and it has no/low low phosphate. Never ever had a problem until recently and now I'm getting hair algae everywhere. Any other thoughts?

Ahh true I didn't think about that. On that note my cheato is still doing that and I keep removing the dead but now I have like none left. What gives! What could cause this. My cheato used to be awesome but now....

If I had to guess I'd say I have that. Flow is decent. And light was so high I had to turn it down even tho when it was that high it seemed best but then it seemed to burn the cheato.

It helped me keep up with mine when I switched. Hasn't been a problem since. also check the water coming out of the reactor. you may be fine and just need to leave it for a bit. But if it's not coming out as 0 ppm then i'd look into High Capacity

Ok thanks. Any rough idea how long the algae will stay with the water back to perfect conditions? (0ppm phosphate and such)

Once you breech the line on algae it may take a while to get back to a near zero level.

Archived