Falconry

Christian

I didn't know Falconry was a real hobby until it was mentioned in a Geico commercial. I had always thought that was something from Medieval times that was made obsolete by advancing technology. Where would you even get a falcon? If an African Grey Parrot is $2k then I can only imagine what one would cost!

Ironically I looked into this a few years back and the roughly 1 - 2 hours per day in care, several year apprenticeship, a several thousand dollar bird, and a few thousand dollars for an enclosure and supplies, was enough for me to know I wasn't that interested in it. The few people back home that I know do this basically revolve half their life around it. Sounds like a really cool hobby, but I couldn't ever imagine figuring out how to fit the time in a normal schedule.

I didn't know Falconry was a real hobby until it was mentioned in a Geico commercial. I had always thought that was something from Medieval times that was made obsolete by advancing technology. Where would you even get a falcon? If an African Grey Parrot is $2k then I can only imagine what one would cost!

There's breeders all over the country. There's a significant process and licensing before one will sell to another person though.

Some of the more common species are actually cheaper than large parrots, basically small parrot price range, down to a few hundred dollars. Not really any ceiling for larger and rare birds though.

My Dad and brother (they live in Utah) both are into falconry. They have had birds for years and take them out hunting regularly.

It is a big commitment, takes a lot of time, effort, and money to get a license and care for the birds, but if you really want to do it, it is pretty cool.

Troy

There's breeders all over the country. There's a significant process and licensing before one will sell to another person though.

Some of the more common species are actually cheaper than large parrots, basically small parrot price range, down to a few hundred dollars. Not really any ceiling for larger and rare birds though.

Aside from the entry process and expense, it sounds a bit like reef keeping! Most common species range in a price from a few hundred and down...check! Not really a price ceiling for rare species...check! Life revolves around the hobby...check!!!

I would even add a few more. Needs wife approval...check! Likelihood of getting wife approval...zero chance! dry.png

You just have to spin it right. Does your wife hate mice or some other vermin, then try the all natural removal method that is a somewhat expensive bird of prey. It is the only all natural, self cleaning removal method. Disclaimer, there will be cleaning just not of the actual vermin carcass.

Yeah just like reef keeping but you can probably pet it and let it sit next to you. Lol

But you can also catch the bird your self instead of buying from a breeder. The only difference I see is you have to take a test to be able to own one.

This is the bird that I would most likely want to get its called a crested caracara they are the national "eagle" of Mexico found on their flag.

They are a type of scavenger falcon they care seen a lot in and around Buda/Kyle area.

post-958-0-51864100-1440093756_thumb.jpg

You just have to spin it right. Does your wife hate mice or some other vermin, then try the all natural removal method that is a somewhat expensive bird of prey. It is the only all natural, self cleaning removal method. Disclaimer, there will be cleaning just not of the actual vermin carcass.

I've tried a similar argument that I need to buy a skid loader for normal yard work. I got a really nice unbreakable shovel out of the discussion at least...

Pretty sure capturing a caracara will land you in felonious waters. They are a federally protected migratory bird. But since I'm not sure you should probably check with usfw first.

Pretty sure capturing a caracara will land you in felonious waters. They are a federally protected migratory bird. But since I'm not sure you should probably check with usfw first.

That's why people have to have A license to keep a raptor.

All birds that naturally occur in the US are now federally protected except for the gallinaceous birds (quail, grouse, turkeys). The USFWS views this as you are not allowed to interact with them at all. Certainly not capture one without asking their permission.

The complete list is here: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...0_113&rgn=div8

There is are other Caracaras that are not protected, if you can get one into the country that is.

Archived