New tank build/ 2 year old project

julespinkyd

I started a thread a while back, way back... About me trying to build this tank out of an entry coat closet. Today is the actual day that I am trying to prepare myself for a cataclismic catastrophe. This is the actual very first time since I started my build to completely believe I am finished and decided to test it by filling it 100%. I turned off breakers to the electricity below the tank and brought about the heavy duty soaking up tools... Everyone's blankets, sleeping bags, towels..etc..etc. With 146 Gallons, the damage will be pretty hefty... Nail biting time was scary but I am happy with it. It looks to hold. I will leave it up for a few days before turning it into my salt water fish and coral setup...

post-977-0-83715400-1440037085_thumb.jpg

post-977-0-45062300-1440037111_thumb.jpg

Thanks man... It looks like it held up and all of my plumbing works great. My overflow seems to be a bit loud. Any suggestions to quiet it down a bit anyone? By the way, here is a pic. I just swapped everything out to it yesterday, so nothing is arranged. Today is arrangement day.

post-977-0-62042600-1440256101_thumb.jpg

I think the noise might be from that little vortex you see at the top left pipe. I've not built that kind of return before but I'll bet someone on here knows how to make that more quiet. To me it kind of looks like a herbie that has been put together backwards. See this:

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

I think the noise might be from that little vortex you see at the top left pipe. I've not built that kind of return before but I'll bet someone on here knows how to make that more quiet. To me it kind of looks like a herbie that has been put together backwards. See this:

http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/

Hey... Thanks a lot for that link. After reading through it I realized that I had built into my project the solution. That was extremely helpful. On my drain side I incorporated a valve to completely shut it when doing a water change. By restricting just a little bit.. The noise completely vanished. I just need to keep an eye on it for a while hoping no overflow problems... Thanks a lot for the link.

• 1 year later...

Hello guys, my project has been doing somewhat good for the past year. I recently went over to FarmerTy's home to borrow a pump for a few days until I go a new one and was able to see his beautiful tank. With that said I have always been interest in just the easy corals and have never tried to set up my tank for SPS. I do not think mine is SPS quality. At the moment, all I have is a sump, protein skimmer, and a new external pump. Apart from lighting what type of other hardware may beneficial for me maintaing a beautiful tank. Any recommendations would you all have for me.  Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Absolutely 100% of people in this hobby started by seeing something cool or inspiring! Isn't that how the whole thing got started? Striving to keep new and fascinating animals is how the whole thing has kept going this long. I mean, as early as the 1990's a full SPS tank with any color was near impossible! The sharing of information over the internet really made it possible, as others could help build upon what was known to only a few. We're lucky in Austin to have a some high caliber tanks and hobbyists actively involved in the community. 

The good news is that you already have a great start to keeping more delicate corals. What is your most delicate coral right now? You may not be too far off already. Keeping delicate species is only half equipment. The other half is husbandry practices and work. Most of the equipment that we have is meant to decrease our personal workload and isn't necessary - it just saves us time or money. IMO a big part of keeping corals is maintaining a target level of specific parameters, such as alkalinity, calcium, phosphates, and nitrates. You need a way to test for those parameters and increase or decrease them according to your target levels. You also need a way to export nutrients from the aquarium. You already have a protein skimmers, so you would supplement with water changes or other filtration. Aside from the light, that's all you need. Advanced hobbyists trying to achieve other goals may incorporate organic dosing, amino acids, or trace elements, but they aren't needed until much later.   

Ah sweet! Another person hooked! [emoji4]

Can you sum up your equipment you're running currently, your maintenance schedule, and what you are testing for and with?

Be happy to recommend some steps to get you to the point of keeping SPS.

• 2 weeks later...
On February 14, 2017 at 2:18 PM, FarmerTy said:

Ah sweet! Another person hooked! emoji4.png

Can you sum up your equipment you're running currently, your maintenance schedule, and what you are testing for and with?

Be happy to recommend some steps to get you to the point of keeping SPS.

Hello All,

I am in the market for an RO system. Something not cheap and something not extremely expensive. I would like to purchase new,  so any recommendations would be great. This would be a first for me so not sure if it can be plumbed into the water system where a water softener used to be. Thanks in advance...

check out bulk reef supply.  they have great RO/DI systems and they can be plumbed in multiple applications.  I have a 5 stage and it is my second system from them and i have been very, very hapoy

On 2/23/2017 at 8:02 PM, madsalt said:

check out bulk reef supply.  they have great RO/DI systems and they can be plumbed in multiple applications.  I have a 5 stage and it is my second system from them and i have been very, very hapoy

Thanks for the recommendation. I just bought the 5 stage from bulk reef supply

Archived