Coralline algae

LarryD

what effects coralline algae growth? I have had the current tank up for a couple of months with good parameters and there is coralline on some snails but it has yet to take on the rocks. My previous tank went most of a year without ever developing coralline.

Proper calcium, alk, and Mg levels combined with lower light has been my experience. It's everywhere in my tank that gets minimal lighting. The 400-watt halides though would cook it so it was never on the main rocks. Since the LEDs are newer, I have not observed new growth patterns but it's still pretty much on the edges of my lighting. They don't do well with higher lighting.

Proper calcium, alk, and Mg levels combined with lower light has been my experience. It's everywhere in my tank that gets minimal lighting. The 400-watt halides though would cook it so it was never on the main rocks. Since the LEDs are newer, I have not observed new growth patterns but it's still pretty much on the edges of my lighting. They don't do well with higher lighting.

Ok that probably explains why I don't get any, I have pretty strong lighting, maybe since I had to turn them down some recently for my setosa I might see some start to grow.

I used to have a ton of it growing on my back glass with LEDs, but after the crazy alk swings of 2014-2015 a lot of it died off. Since then it really hasn't returned with the same growth it used to. Alk and Ca are pretty stable now and lighting is the same. I'm not sure what has changed that has stunted it's growth, but I don't know why it isn't growing. I've had tanks where I had to scrape it off the glass weekly or I would lose visibility. My current tank, not so much. Maybe my LEDs are just too bright and coraline likes lower light like Ty said? It's a good question, I wish I knew for sure.

Archived