Air conditioner broke this evening - Are chillers available locally?

BornToHula

Hi all -

Unfortunately my home's air conditioner stopped working a couple hours ago. I can't get anyone out here until lunchtime tomorrow at the earliest - but the system could be out a couple days if they have to order parts. Is there a place locally where I can buy a chiller?

I have fans running on both my tanks in the meantime - I should be fine for tonight but the 98 degree day tomorrow has me a little scared.

If you don't mind removing it yourself, I have a 1/3 HP chiller (chills my 215 gallon) you can steal from my system for the day if you don't mind bringing it right back when you're done with it. I still have one MH on my system and it's the only thing that still makes my temperature rise. I can leave it off for a day if you need the chiller.

PM me if you are interested.

I don't have a pic, sorry.

I've "chilled" my tank before by running a slow line through an ice chest.

Pretty easy really: just a siphon through an ice chest with either ice or even dry ice and an appropriate pump back to sump.

If you don't mind removing it yourself, I have a 1/3 HP chiller (chills my 215 gallon) you can steal from my system for the day if you don't mind bringing it right back when you're done with it. I still have one MH on my system and it's the only thing that still makes my temperature rise. I can leave it off for a day if you need the chiller.

PM me if you are interested.

Thank you for the offer, but I would hate to take it from your system that is actively using it.

I don't have a pic, sorry.

I've "chilled" my tank before by running a slow line through an ice chest.

Pretty easy really: just a siphon through an ice chest with either ice or even dry ice and an appropriate pump back to sump.

Not a bad idea - I like it! Did you use bagged ice or anything so the ice water didn't get in to the aquarium?

Freeze a few water bottles.....a quick way to bring a temp down on a pinch. Just take a little bit of water out so it doesnt burst the bottle.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Good idea as well! I am currently using a couple zip-lock bags of ice to bring the temp down.

If you have any extra saltwater made up, just put that in the ziplocks... that way if it leaks, it's no big deal...

Would a standard freezer actually freeze saltwater? I forget what it's actual freezing point is for saltwater. My buddy always just froze ro water and turned off his ato.

Should easily, saltwater freezes at 28F, regular water at 32F. My freezer is set to 0F... I did this already to cool my water change water. Worked great. I actually took a hammer and smashed up the ice and threw it right in since it was the same salinity.

Haha, you know that 8.0 dKH glass of water is so much more tasty than an "off-parameter" glass of tap water!

After make a few calls a repair man from Casa is going to be here at 7:30 AM tomorrow (being a home building business sometimes has its advantages grin.png). Here's to hoping its an easy fix, that way I can thaw out the 20 bottles of saltwater in my freezer.

Those frozen bottles still might come in handy tomorrow since it's going to be like 1000 degrees tomorrow. I'd just open them and pour them over my head periodically throughout the day.

I'm like the human Hanna meter... I've sadly almost gotten to the point where I can visually judge it before it even hits the Hanna meter. By taste is what I'm still perfecting.

Archived