Montipora vs stylophora

Anyone experience these two in proximity? Who wins? My purple stylo easily defeats rainbow montipora, but I've got a massive Idaho grape monti colony (it's an undata variant I believe) that is claiming close to 1/3 my useable rock space and it so far has yet to lose a fight. Wanting to actually start putting stuff on top of it but need something that can win. Thinking pink stylo perhaps. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can do a purple stylo versus montis test in my tank if you want.

I don't know about the other color variants. I only have the rainbow stylo and not looking to burn some in the name of science. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have purple stylo and rainbow. Both growing very well. The purple stylo easily and handily beats rainbow monti. It's not even close. I'm interested in seeing how pink stylo does against Idaho grape undata

Does the color of the coral make a difference in the strength of its sting? The color only comes from the algae within the coral, so does that make a major difference in its ability to defend itself?

Perhaps different strains of algae will generatre more energy necessary to fuel the coral polyp to pack a more powerful sting?

and those different algae strains are difference colors?

I'm not sold that stylo of different color are the same species I suppose. I know rainbow montipora and Idaho grape aren't the same species.

I would think the stylo would still beat out the undata.

I agree that the stylo's may not be the same species / compatible. I see the same thing in birdsnest / seriatopora's. Often not compatible and have very different defense / aggression.

I have purple stylo for days but purple stylo on purple undata probably wouldn't really achieve the contrasting look I'm shooting for

Archived