Sad weekend in the Sparkman household

Jimbo662

So...ever since I moved at the beginning of Feb my rainbow BTA just couldn't settle in. It never stayed in one place more than a couple of days. About two weeks ago I noticed it started hiding for a day or so and then would come back out then would move and hide. Last Tues or Wed it had moved to about 4" from the top right under the light and seemed to be doing well. The next day it was gone again. Friday night / Sat morning I noticed everything looking pretty irritated. I spent all day Saturday in Marble Falls and when I got back some of the acans were retracted but it was too late to do anything. Got up this morning and realized I'd lost several acans and my birds nest. Also saw a bunch of clear slimy stuff on the surface clinging to the sides and overflow box. I immediately started making a batch of water. I had some bubble algae so I figured I'd pull everything out with the algae on it to remove it and look for the BTA. I moved every piece of rock and rearranged and the BTA was no where to be found. It seems to have just melted. Thank goodness Rory convinced me to get the high capacity GFO a couple of weeks ago! That along with the high capacity carbon in the reactor must have saved everything else. After a good cleaning and water change everything else seems to be quite happy tonight.

Guess I'm going to be in the market for a few new corals! No more BTA's in a small tank. It had taken out my really nice red monti, a smaller red monti and one other that I can't remember the name of.

Boo! Sorry James! If you bought any of the lost corals from me, swing and by and get a replacement.

I might have walked right past you if you were in Marble Falls this past Saturday for the 4th. My wife, in-laws, and I were sitting to the left of the stage for the fireworks show! Spectacular!

So far everything is looking much better. Even my toadstool was almost completely open. Usually it gets pissed at any change and is the last to open up.

If anyone has any red and green monti cap frags let me know. Also looking for something that'll do well about mid way in the tank. Tank is 20" deep and kessil is about 10" above the water maxing out at 43%. I've mostly got acans...most of which are adding heads, a Duncan that's recently added several heads, a couple of blasto's, superman rhodactis that's splitting about every 2-3 months.

YES!!! Got home this afternoon and it was empty! Thank god it was only about 1/3 full. Checked salinity and it had only gone from 1.024 to .025. You know they say things happen in 3s...well this was #2...what's next??? I learned a lesson to not fill it more than 1/3.

Archived