Georgetown water

Robb in Austin

Anyone got an idea of the TDS? If so, how did you measure it? Softener or no? Tested before or after softener?

We are moving that way and I'm curious. Their WQ report doesn't list it. Actually, their WQ report is sorely lacking compared to the Austin one.

Anyone got an idea of the TDS? If so, how did you measure it? Softener or no? Tested before or after softener?

We are moving that way and I'm curious. Their WQ report doesn't list it. Actually, their WQ report is sorely lacking compared to the Austin one.

I usually get about 240-250 ppm, that is what it is before and after a water softener, unless you have some other filter on the softener besides just the sediment filter you won't see a difference because the softener is just replacing calcium ions with sodium ions. Softeners actually work on the same principle of di resin the only difference is di resin is regenerated with a strong acid and softener resin is regenerated with a high saline solution.

I am in round rock and we get our water from same place. I will check my tap water tomorrow with my hanne tester. But if memory serves correctly it was extremely high....in the 500 range. If corse its been a while since i tested my tap water. I will say that just RO was getting it down to 4 tds. 0 out of DI.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I am in round rock and we get our water from same place. I will check my tap water tomorrow with my hanne tester. But if memory serves correctly it was extremely high....in the 500 range. If corse its been a while since i tested my tap water. I will say that just RO was getting it down to 4 tds. 0 out of DI.

I have never seen anything that high but I am in north georgetown so it is possible that since I am a little closer to the source I am getting less.

Ok so I must be getting old.....just tested my tap water and its reading 241 tds. Oh and i live over by the Dell Diamond in round rock. We get our water out of lake Georgetown and stillhouse hollow currently.

Robb, be sure to use Chloramine filters when you do get up here. City of Georgetown will flush the lines with chlorine on occasion (without any notification). I use both Prime and BRS chloramine filters.

• 1 month later...

Brief, unrequested update:

TDS in my kitchen sink (source for RODI) is 205-210.

I have noticed a very strong chlorine odor a few days after we got here so I've been using Prime. I'll definitely invest in the chloramine filter.

Your water is cleaner than mine, I usually run 250-260ppm. The chlorine smell could just be from being a new home but it certainly could not hurt to run a universal filter.

Stop showing off all your perks of living in the nice part of Georgetown.

attachicon.gifpxsi6 (1).jpg

attachicon.gifpxso4.jpg

Usually ~25 TDS after the membrane and then 0 after my DI. Granted I burn through DI resin like crazy.....

Wow that is pretty high, how long does your resin last, five gallons?

I can get through ~100 gallons at 0, then another ~100 @ 3TDS. When I get to 5TDS I change it out.

A few TDS here and there shouldn't hurt.

DI Resin bulk buy!?

If you're burning DI resin at that rate, something ain't right...Just because your TDS shows zero doesn't mean there isn't something in dissolved phase that isn't screwing up your membrane and laying waste to your resin.

Im in round rock and have the same water source....i get 4 tds out of the membrane....then to a dual stage di. Which gives me 0 tds.....its actually 0 out of first DI but i wanted a full canister of DI just in case. So far have only had to change a single DI cartridge....and after i swapped realize i could have gone another month or so.

If you're burning DI resin at that rate, something ain't right...Just because your TDS shows zero doesn't mean there isn't something in dissolved phase that isn't screwing up your membrane and laying waste to your resin.

Expand please.

I'm new to making my own RO.

Expand please.

I'm new to making my own RO.

Maybe SChrisEV will chime in but he was having the same problem. We found that it was his higher CO2 content in his water that caused the rapid depletion of his DI resin. I think he was temporarily aerating his water in a separate tub for a day before pushing through the DI. Also, I think he setup a post membrane water purge before sending it through DI. I did the same thing (basically add a 3-way valve after membrane and before DI to dump the initial 2-3 mins of made water as its usually the dirtiest) and my DI resin, which only used to last me 6 months is going on almost a year now and still showing 0 on the TDS meter.

CO2 is a main cause of resin depletion (hence why brs sells resin in vacuum sealed Mylar bags) and like Ty said letting the water sit for a while with increased aeration is how you solve that. The post ro purge does nothing for the CO2 but will take care of the tds creep that occurs on start up which is caused by the membrane sitting with no flow. On my system immediately after startup the membrane will start out at about 50ppm tds and over the course of five to ten minutes will come down to the stable 4ppm. I also have the three way valve like Ty with one output plumbed into the drain line and the other going on to the di canister.

I'm all for that.

What kind of pump do you use to push through just DI?

I assume since it doesn't need to be at 50+PSI like the membrane, I can just modify a maxijet or something? Or is there not enough contact time there? Aqualifter?

I'm all for that.

What kind of pump do you use to push through just DI?

I assume since it doesn't need to be at 50+PSI like the membrane, I can just modify a maxijet or something? Or is there not enough contact time there? Aqualifter?

You are looking for slow and steady because you want to mimic the flow rate of product water coming out of the pump so you can maximize the time the water is in contact with the resin. Brs has a video in which they talk about the co2 problem and they use one of their dosing pumps (probably the 5.5ml/min) to feed the water in. If you are thinking that it to slow figure out the flow rate of product water coming out of your ro and try and get as close to that as possible.

It's a 150gpd system, but I probably only get 100 or so. On my next batch ill try with an aqualifter (3gph), and see what happens. Just what I need, yet another barrel.

Can you ever really have enough barrels

Archived