Covering your tank with minimal impact on lighting

Good Greef

Hey y'all,

I've been lurking for about a year since I started getting into saltwater. Currently I have a mixed reef 75g tank (75% LPS, 15% softies, 10% SPS) that has been going for a year, but now I am getting bored and want to start growing more Acros and Digitatas. Like most people, I started off with equipment that I no longer am content with and want to upgrade.

To get to the point, I currently have 2X Orbit Marine LED lights (48'-60') over my tank and surprisingly has done well wtih all softies and LPS, even at the bottom of the tank; Even more surpising is that I have a blue maxima within 6 inches of the light that has been growing fairly rapidly, so I assumed it would be sufficient for SPS near the top. But I am told it wont be sufficient for Acros so.... My questions are this:

1. I am in the market looking to upgrade my ligihting and am wondering what y'all experienced people with open tanks? Many of y'all keep Anthias and Wrasses in your tanks, with AI's or Kessils, so how do you prevent them from jumping?

2. Currrently, I made a cover with black gutter guard and window screen frames. This works because I can just place it over the top of my Orbit Marine LED's which are flat. But since the other brands are mounted by goosenecks or from the celing, what options do I have?

3. I am leaning with Kessil because I plan on upgrading to a 6-8ft tank in one year (after the upcoming newborn is a year old), and I want to be able to just add another fixture or 2 instead of doing wholesale changes in lighting. Am I smart to think this way? Any other LED reccos yall have?

Nice plan. Kessils are awesome especially the 360 WE We frequently utilize the screen top but of course on top the tank with the Kessils above. Or in my case I utilize a 12" fence around the top of my tank where lighting can hang inside or on top as needed. Check out my build thread. Currently running an open top w/ Reef Breeders Photon 48 and T5s

Thanks. Your tank build is beautiful, but I honestly would prefer to not have a canopy like structure on my tank for aesthetic, shallow reasons. But if thats the best way, I may have to. I was hoping someone made a DIY lid out of some type ofr "fish line" type of material that would minimally impact PAR.

The BRS netting is the best option I've seen for this. As far as impact, I would estimate it's close to zero. I'd personally be surprised if there is a measurable difference even on a good PAR meter. If you don't want to use the window frame which doesn't look terrible, but is noticeable, it's probably not extremely difficult to create some sort of lower profile rim to secure the netting to the tank.

Here's their pre-made screens in case you haven't seen them though. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-1-4-netting.html

There's a couple of pics on page 5 & 6. I designed it so that it hung on the inside of the tank. That one ended up breaking because I didn't have enough support on the corners. The second one I built sat on top and was notched out around the goose neck mounts. I can attach a pic of that one when I get home.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/29627-75gal-rimless-planet-aquarium/page-5?hl=planet

Yes I understand how you rimless guys are but really your best alternative is going to be netting with some type of low profile frame. Sounds like acrylic may be the lowest profile I haven't really worked with any acrylic rods for that purpose. but sounds doable. Most rimless purist usually just skip the jumpers so as to not have to compromise the looks of the tank.

Neon Reefer,

I wont say im a rimless purist, as I my tank has rims. The room it is in is a narrow rectangle so trying to ensure te tank doesn't visually seem clunky.

Ill prob buy the BRS netting and mimic what I already have. Thx everyone

f5adbb00f672edc7c3b41f389f77e7e5.jpg

I used the BRS netting, which was literally the same process as window screening, so that was fun. I enjoy doing widow screening lol

As far as I'm aware that netting had no impact on light and even with how close my light was to it I got no shadowing. I'm planning on going the same route with my 40g soonish

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Archived