Coral relocation advice

LarryD

So I have finally hit that point in the life of my little picotope where my coral (in this case ultra grade gsp) has spread to much and needs to be dealt with, the problem is I have no clue what to do. With my planted aquariums I just trimmed the plants back and then put the clippings in a pot on the patio to dry out but that does not seem like it is the right thing to do in this case.

I guess I have a few questions

1) would I be better suited going with small frags plugs or tiles, or trying to get it in a larger colony?

2) what do I do with it since I don't have another tank it could go into.

3) how do I actually frag it?

I seem to have the growing of softies down pretty good so fragging really seems like the next logical progression in my growth as a saltwater aquarium keeper.

LarryD

The Internet has helped figure out somewhat what I have to do to frag the gsp but it still has not really answered the question of what to do with it after it is fragged, or am I better off with small frags or trying to make decent sized colonies.

You might consider advertising in the for sale section to see if anyone wants some larger frags before you decide what to do? I know that from time to time people are looking for larger pieces.

You might consider advertising in the for sale section to see if anyone wants some larger frags before you decide what to do? I know that from time to time people are looking for larger pieces.

As just a basic member I thought I was not allowed to advertise in the for sale section, I certainly could have misread the restrictions when I signed up.

Oh, sorry, missed that detail

No problems, I would love to be able to trade it to other reefers but I kind of need to know what I need to do before that can be done.

I am thinking I will stop by c4 for a bit and maybe I can get my questions answered there.

Stopped by c4, picked up some nice zoanthids for the picotope. I did not really come out with a firm grasp on what I could do with the gsp after I fragged it, or if I large colony was preferable to small frags.

So It occurred to me that it might be simpler to take out the original gsp colony and replacing it with a new piece of rock that I can drill some holes in for the frag plugs.

I would also like to get either one of those magnetic rocks or something to keep frags on the glass.

So It occurred to me that it might be simpler to take out the original gsp colony and replacing it with a new piece of rock that I can drill some holes in for the frag plugs.

I would also like to get either one of those magnetic rocks or something to keep frags on the glass.

GSP is pretty easy. You can either frags what you don't want into multiple pieces (it'll stick/grow on almost anything) or keep it in one large piece. You can then either upgrade to a Premium membership to sell here, watch for Premium members requesting trades or in the Want To Buy section, or take it to your local fish store to trade in for credit.

I actually just moved back into town from college so I have not had a whole lot of time to explore the aquarium stores in the area who is usually willing to buy coral off of people?

It just depends but RCA and Niko's are who I usually hit up to sell stuff back since they are close to me.

I will say that certain types of corals are pretty common in the Austin area and GSP is one of them. If it were me, I would just try to trade it in somewhere instead of fragging on plugs and selling on the club.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It just depends but RCA and Niko's are who I usually hit up to sell stuff back since they are close to me.

I will say that certain types of corals are pretty common in the Austin area and GSP is one of them. If it were me, I would just try to trade it in somewhere instead of fragging on plugs and selling on the club.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ya I am starting to think that it might not be worth the hassle. Maybe this is a sign to move the salt water up into one of the larger tanks I have laying around. The problem with that is I don't really have the funds to do the 20 or the ten and the picotope is som much better looking than my five.

I am looking at redoing some of the plumbing and maybe redo the scape in the tank to free up some room.

So I have decided to relocate my coral to a larger tank, to that end I am sitting down to design an all in one box to go into my old ten gallon kit. Worst case scenario I still get more than twice the volume to work with than the Picotope.

Archived