Liz's 10 going on 20L reef build

emu1sive

It's looking very nice. I think it's funny that a tiny little clownfish thinks he can take on the giant creature that invades his space occasionally.

This is how I imagined it going down when he's biting you:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GAAAHAHAH That is exactly how it went down. Then my daughter running over yelling, "Stop biting my mommy!"

1) I hate frag plugs

2) never let me do surgery on anyone EVER

3) time for a break

iPhone 6. Sometimes I use the VSCO cam app so I can adjust white balance while taking the photos. This morning I was really lazy and just took a shot with the phone then used the white balance tool in the Photos app to take away some of the blue.

Thoughts this morning don't mind me. This may be TLDNR:

Since I want to start planning my upgrade I am considering doing a 55 gal. This likely will not occur until I move out of my lil apartment but I want to do it the "right" way and in this hobby the only "right" way seems to be to spend months planning and researching. Why 55? I love symmetry. I have a 55 where I'm growing out discus that's been running since 6 months and my lil half dollar sized guys are bigger than Ty's "cupcake" fungia plate right now. (When Ty says cupcake he means MUFFIN. I love seeing multiple tanks but it kills me inside when they are not the same size but next to eachother.

The 55 will give me enough room for lotsa water, I can still reach the bottom, more options for fish, colonies, my nem when it gets bigger, and it will start DRILLED. And I can move an empty 55 all by myself if needed. I would keep my current scape but blow it out to a larger scale.

Oh to dream.... Time to break out an Excel sheet (I love excel) and start RESEARCH BWAAAHAHAHAHAH! I'll likely gather up stuff I can find over the next few months-year in the classifieds section. I'll wait on lighting cause I love LED's and will brag about my low electric bill running 2 tanks with more than 2 filled up surge protectors and it not making any difference. What DOES make a difference is my frikkin AC bill in the summer/heater bill in the winter grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Since lighting is still in a developmental/experimental stage with major manufacturers I want to see what comes out.

55's are a great size. Just big enough but frequently not expensive. If the plan is to slowly piece it together, definitely just keep your eyes peeled and pick up used stuff. You will almost certainly be able to find hardware to set up a tank in that size range. Just my $0.02, but if you're going to do a 55, try to find a used 75. They are usually built a little better and have thicker glass or acrylic than 55's. Plus you can get them in a really nice footprint for reef tanks. But, they are also a lot more expensive. :(

You'll have to keep us updated on the plan as it evolves. Oh, and about the "right" way... To me, "right" is whatever works for the individual. But, spending time planning and researching does tend to lead to better results.

I would def try for a 75 if you can find a cheap one. When I also upgraded from a twn gallon I had two free tanks being offered by two family members. A 40 breeder and a standard 55.

As much of a pain as it was to find a stand for the 40 that wasn't a billion dollars.. I opted for the 40 due to the footprint. Lots of space for aquascaping without having rocks up against the glass.

I know the new 75's at work with cheapo lights are around $250, so finding a bare used one should ideally not run you over $100-125 i tend to try to pay $1 a gallon for used tanks.. Maybe add a little extra depending on the condition of the tank.

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Someone just got a 75G drilled tank, return pump, lights, canopy, sump, dosing pumps, powerheads.... shifty.gif More to come...

THANK YOU SO MUCH DAN for helping me get that picked up and moved into my place. I couldn't have done it without you!!!

Archived