Frag rack practices

Wanted to get some opinions here. This is one area I've been horribly inconsistent with. I know most of you guys I've bought corals from and tank's I've seen are usually pretty well stocked up on frag racks, be it DIY or prefab. They're always usually full too. I don't often like using frag racks because it takes away from the tank looking like a true aquascape. I do use them on occasion though, and am using one now. I often also just put acros on the sandbed when I get them. What are some of your practices when using your racks and photo acclimating acros specifically. As I said I've been real inconsistent with how I do things, and I'm curious if anyone else has a standard?

I've got a rack full of super happy acros right now. I've been raising it about 1" higher on the glass every few days. it's been two weeks now and they're in the upper 1/3 of the tank height (from sandbed level). Considering going ahead and putting them on the rocks at some point in the next week and removing the rack, but something feels wrong putting a healthy coral in the empty space where a dead one was recently removed.

but something feels wrong putting a healthy coral in the empty space where a dead one was recently removed.

Did you feel guilty when you bought the new coral? Can't keep dead skeletons around forever bud.

Not exactly. Nothing has really thrived until recently so I can only try try again. Just mostly curious the wait time yall typically

Observe before acros go to their forever homes

Well I'm still relatively new to it, but I've been having pretty good luck with a two week frag rack or sand period before moving to final spot

Well with what limited participation in the thread we've got, I can still say I'm surprised. I figured some folks let things live on the rack for a month or more. At least until the plug was fully encrusted.

I'm all about acclimating but I've never had an acro die of too much light so that's not a cause of concern for me. I've had some bleach out but always survived the process. I either leave them there to attempt to regain coloration or move it back down. Mind you, I'm running halides so I can't attest to the same experience with other lighting sources, especially LED.

I understand your concern now. But I agree with Ty and Jim. The only reason why I left something on the rack is Because I was unsure of its aquascaping place or I was so so on keeping the piece permanently with the kessil. Also I tended to keep things on the rack for 2 weeks or so to make sure no nasties pop up. I have seen aiptaisa come in on a plug that I inspected and saw was clean and then 2 weeks later bam there is some aiptaisa on the stem. As my tank was aiptaisa free I know it must have came in as a piece of Dna.

I only use(d) my tiny frag rack for frags that I loved so much I was too scares to put them anywhere lol. Mainly my Rastas. I'm planning on dusting it off again though to use before I find the final spot for new corals

I agree Bpb. I removed my frag racks because I didn't like the aesthetics. I'm having a similar problem where I don't have anywhere to put frags now. I don't want to put them in the rocks but I don't really have a choice because the conch bowls them over if I leave them in the sand. I think I'm going to drill a rock specifically to hold a bunch of frags and just keep them there.

When I get a new coral it goes directly onto the rack, which is equal in height to the rest of my acros. The new corals don't get a full blast of light since the racks are off to the side. I haven't had any problems with any corals going directly onto the racks. After a week or so I'll glue them directly to their spot in the rocks.

Archived