So I started this hobby a almost 11 years ago but was only in for a year before I had to break down my tank. I recently started it back up and got into corals heavily. While I'm finishing up my Ph.D. now and now my 12 looks more like a frag tank than a real reef tank. The wife and I both agree it's time to upgrade when we move, and I start a post-doc.

So we've been looking at tanks for a while not. She like the rimless look and also wants something very stylish. The options so far seem to be between three tanks and I'll post who leads. The tank is not going to be that big, ideally we were looking between 30-90 gallons. Towards the smaller size a cube would be ideal.

1. Reef Saavy

2. Red Sea Reefer

3. Red Sea 130

This is the look she's really digging in a tank.

2D389B47-97F6-4EDD-91B4-D546618D3563_zps

I totally forgot to mention if anyone has had any experience with Reef Saavy, everything I hear has been positive. But I was wondering if the up charge is worth in compared to going with something like the JBJ 45 RL tank.

I am waiting on my reef savvy still. I ordered it in Nov 14'. They are 6 months out but trying to cut the lead time down. I have heard great things about them but haven't owned one of their tanks before.

Some other builders to think about.

I have been very satisfied with planet aquariums quality.

I know richardL loves his Dutch Aquarium systems. His tanks look good too.

You can now by the old gen 1 reef savvy ghost overflow through synergy reef systems for $200. Either one of the aforementioned tanks can be drilled by the manufacturer to accept this external overflow.

I saw the Red Sea Reefer at Reef Currents in Houston. The Red Sea rep gave me a great walkthrough, and the quality looked quite nice. It's a very nice system. I would say the system is pretty cost effective for the high tech look you get and would be a good choice if you want a nice looking system but are not too interested in running a lot of extra gear. The sump just does not have room for a lot of gear. It reminded me a lot of my current system, the Reef Octopus T60. The stand looked nice but you do have to assemble it yourself. Also, the sump and ATO being integrated seemed nice, but I am not too sure i would like a glass sump.

Toss Cadlights into the mix they are like the Red Sea reefers but nicer and cheaper.

In fact, I kind of think the picture in the OP is a cadlights, right?

My last tank was a 75g rimless from Planet Aquariums. They finish the edges of the glass very nicely. Each piece has a nice beveled edges. It also had an external overflow so you don't lose any real estate inside the tank.

This is great info, the wife and I are going this weekend to look at some tanks. She's been looking on Pinterest and really likes the look of in wall tanks. However thats quite a ways off for us. I foresee a couple moves in the future still so want something that will give us more real estate plus being able to move the tank with us, probably at least once.

Don't worry I can teach you how to stuff more coral in your tank :)

That was the big reason for me deciding on reef savvy is their ghost overflow.

I feel like the cadlights is slightly overpriced for what you get. I think the Red Sea is a better option price wise.

I'm really stoked to see this new tank of yours once it comes in.

Me too. I keep asking when its gonna get here. I think I am adding to Reburn's frustration!

For me its down to a Planet or a Reef Savvy. Since he will have both I'm just gonna drive over to the Reburn showroom to help me make my final decision ...

Oh and reef savvy will be selling DIY kits again. Both overflows the 20" and the 16". They said on FB they are going to start taking orders next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim - Yeah just to see what's offered. Unless an awesome deal comes up for a used system.

The wife is still not quite sure if she wants a cube or not. I really need to get her out to look at a couple but being in college station we have pet smart and petco.

I'm also pretty interested in this as well, thinking with a radio gen 3 pro with wide angle lens. Not quite sure if a bio pellet reactor is needed. The big reef scene is quite different then my nano with chemi pure blue plus filter floss and just water changes.

http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_62&products_id=293

Archived