How to attach coral to rock?

Cameronbherring

Ty's patented superglue/putty sandwich haha

Get some reef putty or coral putty or whatever they call it and use superglue to glue the frag to the putty and more superglue to glue the putty to your rockwork. Will still snap off if you ever need to relocate a frag.

I'm sure King Ty will pop in and explain a little better. I'm not the best with my words.

I definitely don't deserve the patent for that but I for sure push it.

Makena explained it well... dab of superglue to the coral/plug, then 2-part epoxy, then another dab of superglue on the bottom of the epoxy, and then smash it against the rock and hold for 10 seconds. It helps to have the circulation pumps off for it to harden before turning them back on.

This is so solid, it's usually urchin proof and also giant zebra turbo snail proof.

It could be that you not using enough glue or the surface you're gluing to has too much algae on it. If you glue your frag to any algae, then the algae dies and the frag falls off because it's not connected to the rock.

I get my glue at the dollar store. I hear that the glue from hobby lobby is pretty good as well, but I can never find it. Try taking a toothbrush to the rock before you glue it down. Scrape off as much growth as you can and then glue the frag to the clean spot. It'll be more likely to attach directly to the rock.

I haven't had great luck with the epoxy without using glue with it. The epoxy just gets hard and falls off unless you use glue. I only use it for large coral frags and coral colonies.

One thing to keep in mind is that many corals like to encrust before they do much upward growth. If there is a gap between the frag plug and the rock (like when you stick the plug in the rock, or just glue the stem of the plug into a hole in the rock) then there is not much of a place for the coral to encrust after the plug is filled up with growth. Epoxy is nice for this because you can fill the gap between the plug and the rock and this gives the frag room to encrust more. I like the two little fishies grey epoxy since it blends in pretty nice with rocks. I think it also comes in purple. But when you use it be aware that it causes skimmers to go nuts for 24-36 hours.

I usually buy plumbers epoxy from Home Depot, it's a lot cheaper than the "aquarium" epoxy. The stuff cures under water and is food grade for half the price.

I've kind of changed my stance on the Waterweld you can buy at Home Depot Gig'em. I may have been the one to introduce you to the waterweld... I can't remember. As they have increased the price on it, I actually find it a better deal to get the TLF aquastix putty from BRS. It sells for $9 for a 4 oz stick. Waterweld is now $6 for a 2 oz stick at Home Depot so to compare directly, it'll cost $12 to get 4 oz of waterweld versus $9 for 4 oz of TLF aquastix putty. It was a better bargain 2-3 years ago when it was only $3-4 for 2 oz of waterweld.

Also, after 3 years of using the waterweld and more recently switching to the TLF reef putty, I find that the cure time is much quicker for the TLF putty, allowing it to set quick enough to hold my corals in place without me hanging on for 15 mins until it sets, leaves less of a residue on my fingers when mixing the putty, and blows up my skimmer less than the waterweld stuff.

I still think the waterweld is a great product and an easy option to purchase when you need putty quick... but I find the value better with the TLF putty if you can get it with free shipping during one of our BRS group buys and for the reasons I mentioned above.

Archived