Just an FYI, Flatworm Exit is too weak of a concentration to kill AEFW. You have to bump the dosage 5-10x to kill them. So you might want to look into Levamisole, the pig and sheep de-wormer. This is what I use as part of my dip treatment. That stuff is like a pipebomb on any clinging critters to the coral.

In lower dosages this is a great intank treatment for red planaria. This can kill starfish if you have any.

Link to a guy that tried an in-tank treatment: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2027706

Where to buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prohibit-Levamisole-Hydrochloride-Soluble-Powder-Wormer-Sheep-and-Cattle-52g-/291318443520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d3eeae00

I would be very cautious using levamisole. I have other water soluble workers that would be quite a bit milder such as valbazen, panacur and safeguard. But I am Leary of their effectiveness as outlined below.

The problem is the worms will build a tolerance to the wormer. This is quite common in the animal industry and is why we rotate wormers. Worms can build up a tolerance in as little as 2 doses. This is very clearly explained in the thread as the Tester had to continuously up his dosage. He would also see that upon restarting carbon and the skimmer the worms would come back to life. The other problem is these products aren't nessecarly meant to kill worms but rather the stun them to have them release from the host and pass out the back end. In the end I feel a potassium treatment is the best option. The 2 products I would like to experiment with outside the tank are interceptor and drontel plus. Drontel plus is a broad spectrum dewormer for dogs and is effective at killing tape worms.

Reburn, I definitely believe the worms would build up resistance if the first treatment didn't knock out 100% of them. If it just stuns them (like Bayer does), then I don't see a point in using it instead. I imagine both of them have the same or similar active ingredients that stuns the worm, but doesn't kill them. Does Drontel Plus kill the worms, or just stun them as well until they can be removed?

There has to be something that kills flat worms out there... Perhaps potassium is lethal and once I get back to Austin I'll be giving it a try. Unfortunately I haven't seen any flatworms in over a month, just the sea spiders now. I'll give the sea spiders a try if I can catch one this weekend.

All the drugs I listed are different.

Panacur and safeguard is Fenbendazole in different strengths

Valbazen is albendazole

Levamisole (pronounced lema-sol) is levamisole hydrochloride

Interceptor is milbemycin oxime

Drontel plus is a mixture of praziquantel/pyrantel pamoate/febantel

I also have straight febantel which is good for tape worms only.

I don't know for fact that the febantel kills tape worms but I think that it actually does. Fenbantel is pretty much the only drug that is very effective on tape worms. Tape worms are hard to rid dogs of because they don't let loose easily. Same thing with bankrupt worms in sheep which of all the drugs only valbazen is very effective against the bankrupt worm.

I have also though about the use of ivomec plus but it is an oil based injectable dewormer and I have some concerns over solubility and residue.

I found this on the interwebbings,

+1 on the sentinel treatment because if they are even closer related to the spider they will definately have a chitin exoskeleton and that is what the interceptor interrupts the synthesis of... i.e. kills anything with an exoskeleton... its worth a shot at this point....

Here

http://www.3reef.com/threads/sps-nightmare-pycnogonids.155311/

No word if he actually tried a whole tank treatment of interceptor.

This is also where I am compelled to say. For disclaimer purposes.

A). I am not a licensed vet.

B). Any of the medications that I may have are prescribed to me by a licensed vet. I will not sell them or use them in a manner other than instructed by my vet, so don't ask.

C). Any off label use of any medication needs to be done under the direct care, direction and supervision of a board liscensed vet.

That's good that you're responsible with your medications Reburn, resistant pathogens and parasites are born from irresponsible/uneducated use of medications. I've posted this before on Reef Central on the use of antibiotics to aid in the survival of Heteractic magnifica and Gigantae anemones that if we're going to use medications on our pets, we need to do it in a careful and educated fashion to prevent the creation of drug resistant bacterial strains. We should also be careful in our treatment of parasites to prevent creating resistant strains that will make it very difficult to eradicate them from our tanks.

Archived