Calling All GFO Users!

Juiceman

I'm have trouble figuring out flow rates and quantity for my GFO to keep up with my phosphates.

post-1783-142906420093_thumb.jpg

I'm currently using the BRS Deluxe reactor with no filter pads. It keeps clogging and I have to turn the valve up and down a few times to get it back going again just to find it in the same situation the next time I check it.

Do I have too much media? Need a bigger reactor?

It's manifolded from a Mag 18.

How much GFO do you use for what size tank and what kind of reactor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much media bud!

I use about 1-2 cups for 250 total water volume!

If you want to use more, get a media reactor with a wider column so that it can actively fluidize.

That's 2 Cups..... :(

Do you think I would be ok to use less media and it work correctly and not need to use a larger reactor?

I'm sure it won't be an issue but you may just need to replace the media at a higher frequency, like 1/two weeks. Just depends on the bioload of your tank... but I'm guessing with all your fish, I'd just get a bigger reactor. You could probably get a TLF 550 and call it a day. They aren't too expensive and are plenty huge!

too much media. I used to use about two cups and the same thing would happen. I now use a cup and things are good to go. I have used both types of brs and my phosphates are good and I have a heavy bio load

I had the same issue Iused the brs dual reactor. I switched to high cap gfo from brs 1 1/4 cup total,water volume 190 gallons. I also switched to a mag 5 just for the reactor with pre filter on the pump never had to adjust the flow again

I turned the flow down yesterday. That's the issue though is not being able to put any water through for it to be worth it. It's a 300g + system. Surely I need more than a trickle coming out of the rectors for it to keep up..

You can run other phosphate media at a higher flow rate. I didn't see if you were using the regular GFO or high density. Supposedly the high density won't grind as easily, but I don't have any experience with it. I use Phosguard. It's a pellet form instead of a granular form and it doesn't grind up under high flow. I get it on Amazon for $25 and the shipping is free.