RO/DI System?

Kaplanm

I need some help understanding RO/DI systems. I'm finally going to invest in one, but I don't understand all the terminology and what is a "need" vs. a "I'm a tech geek". I'm running a 60 gallon reef and a couple of nanos at the moment. I hope to add at least 1 more medium tank to that once we move.

Could I get some guidance on what I need?

I would suggest going with a 4 stage RO/DI system. I use this one from BRS and it works great. Not to mention the replacement filters are not that expensive. For what you have 75 gallons per day should be just fine.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-value-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd-1.html

TDS is how dirty your water is. The goal is 0 TDS coming out of the filter.

GPD is gallons per day. The higher the GPD, the more filtered water you will produce in 24 hours and less waste water you will have. I don't know if higher GPD units last longer than lower rated units.

Water saver is designed to produce less waste water

It can be intimidating. First thing you need to do is get with your Water provider and find out if they use Chlorine or Chloramines. This will determine what type of RO system you need.

After than, determine if you need the extra Chloramine Carbon block or not, then you can go from there.

I have a 4 Stage System

Booster Pump to raise my Water pressure through the system

A solinoid (to shut the pump off when my resivoir is full)

An auto Shutoff system from BRS (Works with the soliniod)

A flush kit (to get rid of old waste prior to each use)

and a pressure gauge (to watch if I need to change out filters or membranes)

could be spelling some of those wrong but you get the idea

no surprise I have a different take I guess!

I went 5 stage 150GPD BRS because why the hell not at the price point? I am renting now, so I have no idea what the water will be like at the next house, and when I want water I want it NOW!!

So, I'll never have to buy another no matter what, and it's all from the same manufacturer so I just get the refill kit every once in awhile. I'm a budget minded guy, I don't usually go for the biggest and baddest....but in this case we are talking the foundation of water quality so I sepnt the extra $$.

Just my opinion!