computer monitor question

chatfouz

i had some time and i was trying to work on the computer. i found a chord in a box that is a 7-pin svideo to yellow RCA. i thought hey use the TV as second monitor. i know the quality is low but hey that would be neat.

the yellow end is in the tv, plugged to the computer via 7pin conversion. turned everything on and nothing happnened. the computer worked well. the computer was working as two, i believe because the mouse scrolled right of the screen a ways then took a ways to come back. but nothing came up on the screen. not any indication that any sort of signal is comming through. i tried changing the video settings etc.

i know the input works. i tried plugging in the dvd player via a 4-pin svideo to the yellow chord and it still didnt work. so im guissing its either the yellow chord or the svideo input?

the tv shouldnt care what information is being sent to it? does the svideo to that yellow chord converters work? is it likely that just the yellow chord is bad? do they go bad? i tried the computer on the other input and nothing happened.

anyone have ideas?

the computer was working as two,

So you had the dual monitors enabled in your video card settings? When I've done this in the past, I had to change all the settings to indicate that the other monitor was a TV.

I don't think it's the cable, but rather video card capabilities.

So you had the dual monitors enabled in your video card settings? When I've done this in the past, I had to change all the settings to indicate that the other monitor was a TV.

I don't think it's the cable, but rather video card capabilities.

your right. it has to be that. because all of a sudden when i click the fn+F4 the button on my hp that switches video modes. the tv will flash the computer screen for a moment before turning off then goign back to my laptop. so i know the connection goes through. i just cant figure out how to make it stay.

under the display settings i can have 2 monitors. also under nvidia it can be tv + laptop screen. but so far i cant figure out how to configure the settings so it just stays up on the tv. what i do seem to of figured out is if on display settings i enable "extend desktop to this monitor" essientially 2 monitors then the video mode switch shortkey does nothing. but if i disable it then the tv will flash the desktop for a moment before flicking off then reappearing on the desktop.

The problem might be the resolution coming out of your laptop is too much for the TV to handle. Try dropping the screen resolution down to the lowest setting (probably 800x600), and then try switching to the TV. If this works, then you can play around with upping the resolution.

agreed, if you are connecting to a older set the max resolution supported will be 640x480 or 800x600. If your set is so old it doesn't even have a Svideo input, its NOT worth even doing. The resolution will be so low it will only be good for playing movies etc off your laptop, any text etc will be unreadable.