Fish Eggs - Cheap!

FarmerTy

Just for the sake of things getting lost in my bottomless pit of a build thread, I thought I would copy this post to the main forum for all to make use of it if they wanted.

I've been interested in pursuing some food options at the MT supermarket (Asian market) after seeing freezers and fridges full of various sea creatures of all origins. Frozen sea cucumbers, gobies, eels, snails, crabs, fish, octopus, and squids to name a few.

I've been researching masago (capelin eggs) used for sushi. They had a pound of masago for $9 at the MT supermarket and I couldn't pass that up.
bc298be41c74caf1988b42e48968c1a6.jpg

It has sugar, food coloring, salt, sorbitol (sugar alcohol), and msg (monosodium glutamate). I went ahead and soaked it 3 times to remove most of the sugar, salt, and food coloring.

9956363a98eadd2dde91136d3ef56b13.jpg

Look at that food coloring running off!
2a3624824d325a1a803833b9660e61c2.jpg

Now this is the real color of the eggs... not that crazy neon orange stuff we eat on our sushi!
af5d2055aef454e7f31fb163941e56ce.jpg

It was gladly accepted by most of the fish and a couple didn't take it and were generally confused by it. I put some in the main tank for the regal but couldn't see if he ate any.

Anyway, thought I would share how you could buy 1 lb of fish eggs for under $10. Good ole' Asian markets!

Archived