BornToHula's 75 Gallon Tank Improvement Thread

BornToHula

The skimmer is working great! It pulls out exponentially more stuff than my old one.

I jinxed myself saying this. doh.gif

For the last week or so the skimmer has stopped producing foam. I think the lack of foam may be due to the Red Slime Remover I used and bringing the bio pellets online. Since after a week or so I wasn't seeing any improvement, yesterday I decided to go ahead and take the skimmer apart to see if anything was stuck in the impeller. Besides a 3 or 4 biopellets that escaped the reactor everything was clean in the skimmer pump.

I'm not sure what else to do now except increase water changes.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it's still producing bubbles but it won't create that head of foam?

When I used cyano remover in the past, my skimmer was wonky for a long time after. Just give it some time I say to produce the foam head... as long as it's still producing a decent amount of bubbles still.

Yes it is still producing bubbles, just no foam. The main issue I am having is several times a day the bubbles will surge up and overflow the skimmer cup. The skimmer outflow is set wide open so I can't lower the water level inside the skimmer any more.

To counteract the skimmer issues I have increased the water changes to 10 gallons twice a week, but doing so is causing the alkalinity and calcium levels impossible to keep consistent. Unfortunately, I've lost a few of my smaller birdsnest frags and a big chunk of flesh came off one of my largest pieces of acropora.

I'm guessing it's just risidual cyano remover in the tank. My skimmer was inconsistent for a couple of weeks until most of the product was removed. Water changes helped as well as me running it totally wet and letting the skimmer overflow multiple times while I emptied out the cup each time.

Sorry for the losses of SPS. They usually don't deal well with change. I take that back, they don't deal well with major alk changes... temp, sometimes nutrients, ph, Ca, and Mg changes they are a little more tolerant of.

Hmm, I wonder if there are any salt mixes that have a dKH of around 9.0? My freshly mixed water with Reef Crystals has a dKH of 12.2. I'm thinking if I could pick up some salt mix that has about the same alkalinity as the water I'm replacing it with I could prevent any further damage. Time to do some research!

• 5 months later...

I thought its time to post some updated info and pictures of the tank progress. Things are doing much better lately in regards to the Cyano - It only really grows on the sand bed and the lower part on some rocks after a few days.

I decided to take my dosing pumps offline in June until I can build some type of reservoir that doesn't go dry after a few days to hold the two part solutions. I am replenishing the Alk and Ca via twice a week 10 gallon water changes with Red Sea coral pro salt. This maintains the alkalinity between 8.5 and 7.5 dkh and calcium around 370 ppm. The calcium levels aren't ideal, but seem to be working for the time being.

I also have been using a Bashsea bio-pellet reactor with Dr. Tim pellets which have worked great. Nitrates have been stuck at zero ever since I started using them.

Phosphates are still a little weird. After over 15 tests over the past few months or I only ever get 0.00 or 0.05 ppm as a result from a Hanna checker. Never anything else (such as .03 or something). I don't know if the Hanna checker is busted or what, but using a Red Sea test I get in the same range as well.

Full tank shots:

JBXBhvzh.jpg

Y6kVQWah.jpg

I was able to bring back this acro from the brink of death. It has been growing well the last couple of months:

V5TTezTh.jpg

Some SPS that have been growing:

KzttemWh.jpg

Clowns and anenomes doing their thang:

cU8rLzPh.jpg

Mr. Goober saying "Get off my lawn!"

RaNVS1Fh.jpg

Wanted to share my canopy I recently built. I should have taken more pictures of the progress, but I did everything from planing down the raw lumber to putting the finish on it.

Planning stage (used SketchUP)

T0RBaOzh.jpg

Joining the top

JHM8WT1h.jpg

Lid assembled

TtzmX7dh.jpg

Canopy installed

Ewbju4hh.jpg

With the lid open. It has lid stays on it, but after I installed the lights it was too heavy for the stays to keep the lid open. I'll be installing a few more stays in the near future.

Hd9vN1zh.jpg

Yesterday I started using Kalkwasser in my top off water to help maintain the Alk and Ca levels. I noticed this morning that the water is so murky you can't even see the bottom of the reservoir. Is this normal? I used 2 teaspoons of the Kent mix in 5 gallons of RODI.

Picked up a few frags from River City yesterday. I really need to get better at remembering the names of my corals, but I believe these are all types of Acropora? I'm letting them adjust to the lights for a day or two before I place them on the rocks.

The first two already have good poly extension. Nothing for the last one yet.

8wOWKUQ.jpg

binOZgo.jpg

mrwvdO4.jpg

They had a great selection there last time I went by. Great finds!

Somes pieces of advice:

1) Hopefully you dipped them before putting them in your tank. My preference is a Bayer dip but I've been toying with a potassium dip lately.

2) I'd highly recommend cutting them off their base plug they came on. It has a higher chance of harboring the dreaded AEFW eggs and also brings in a ton of algae types you may never have wanted. I've gotten red turf algae (which I like), dictoya, chaeto, wiry red algae, and ulva before I listened to others to cut them off their plugs. Gig'em actually removes his, boils the plug, and then reattaches them.

3) I've observed maris doing better when put right into higher light instead of the usual start them in lower par and increase as you go. YMMV.

The most fun about maris is getting to watch them color up and be amazed at the color forms that present themselves as it acclimates to tank life. Looks like you picked up some potential beauties!

Most of the ones they had there had bubble algae on them. I scraped all the algae and then dipped in peroxide followed by revive. I was actually checking out that middle one, that's Gona look sweet as it colors up!

They had a great selection there last time I went by. Great finds!

Somes pieces of advice:

1) Hopefully you dipped them before putting them in your tank. My preference is a Bayer dip but I've been toying with a potassium dip lately.

2) I'd highly recommend cutting them off their base plug they came on. It has a higher chance of harboring the dreaded AEFW eggs and also brings in a ton of algae types you may never have wanted. I've gotten red turf algae (which I like), dictoya, chaeto, wiry red algae, and ulva before I listened to others to cut them off their plugs. Gig'em actually removes his, boils the plug, and then reattaches them.

3) I've observed maris doing better when put right into higher light instead of the usual start them in lower par and increase as you go. YMMV.

The most fun about maris is getting to watch them color up and be amazed at the color forms that present themselves as it acclimates to tank life. Looks like you picked up some potential beauties!

1. I did dip with Coral RX.

2. I haven't ever really fragged anything before. Do I just clip them right at the base and re-glue to a new plug? I guess I will lose whatever has encrusted on the plug?

3. Like I said, I'm bad with names doh.gif which one is the maris?

Thanks for the tips!

Sorry, maris = mariculture. I'm throwing out reef slang like there's no tomorrow.

Yes, just clip right at the base and either glue directly to your rock or to another plug. Like I mentioned, Gig'em cuts his off, boils the old plugs, and then glues them back on them.

IME, coral RX doesn't even really bug AEFW or red bugs, two of the most common pests for acros.

Well drat - I figured I would be safe with dipping them with the RX. Good to know about that though. You said you use Bayer Dip, after a google search I see its a pesticide? Corals do fine after that?

Hopefully I'm not too late - Looks like I'm going to remove the plugs and glue them directly to the rocks when I get home.

Most of the ones they had there had bubble algae on them. I scraped all the algae and then dipped in peroxide followed by revive. I was actually checking out that middle one, that's Gona look sweet as it colors up!

Yeah they do kinda have an algae problem going on there now. I tired to remove all I could but some algae still remains.

Yeah, you can get it at Home Depot or Lowe's. It is an insecticide. I have been using it for 3 years now with no issues. The only acro I've found sensitive to it was an acropora surhasoni... everything wasn't even bothered by it... and believe me... I've dipped a whole lot of different types of acros. I've even accidentally left one in it for a couple of hours to no issues. I don't even really measure the amount I use any more either... I just pour until it's milky white.

I do warn that you should triple rinse the coral after the dip. Just the residue of the Bayer on the acros have laid waste to my pod population before and that stopped when I rinsed it 3 times in a different cup each time, letting it soak in the cup for 10-15 minutes each. I'd also give them a good shake in each container, especially the Bayer, to dislodge any AEFWs. It's great for stunning them and you do the mechanical part by shaking them off. Do inspect for eggs while you have the corals and scrape/superglue over any you see. Please do use gloves too... we're talking an insecticide here.

Cool thanks for the info. I'm going to do that dip next time I get some frags.

Sorry to be such a noob, but what should I use to cut the coral off the plug - I have garden shears at home which I imagine will be a pretty rough cut. Maybe those big nail clippers?

Bone cutters would be ideal but I'm sure you don't have any of those on hand... And if you do, I'm never coming over to buy frags from you. [emoji6]

I've used an extra pair of wire cutters before in a pinch. I just wouldn't recommend continual usage as it does rust pretty quickly. Maybe pick up a cheap pair at harbor freight to hold you over and order a nice pair of bone cutters for the future. I like the Boston Aquatics cutters for value/quality.

Well my first fragging session was a success: all three (plus anther frag I had bought a couple weeks ago) were successfully removed from their plugs and either glued right to the rocks or to a new plug.

While placing these corals I noticed I am quickly running out of room in my tank! I'm going to have to scrub off some green star polyp to make room before the frag swap.

04l6Tvb.jpgPSK02kp.jpggydbOHF.jpg6xPEThy.jpg

49z512a.jpg

Yeah, I've gotten into the habit of testing alk everyday now (gotta keep the Hanna guys in business somehow). In fact since I started using kalkwasser the my alk is still slowly rising even after the new frags have been introduced. Its at 8.2 dkh now which is where I want to keep it.

I either need to dilute the kalk mix some more or find a good salt mix where the dkh isn't so high (my current bucket of red sea pro is 12.7 dkh when mixed). I wasn't a fan of Instant Ocean salt when I used it. I have heard good things about Tropic Marin, but man is that stuff expensive.

Archived