12 Egg Omelette's Tank

12_egg_omelette

Howdy! I've been told I should start a build tread so I can not only keep track but everyone can see the progression of my tank as it matures from a nano tank to a nano reef.

FTS 2/2/15

8040416A-8E00-4847-A86B-FA6B810D8588_zps

4E7DD45B-4CB8-4869-9BB2-73D984E4C1E4_zps

0E61F0F9-B82B-40E0-A8A6-9982E951D055_zps

0E61F0F9-B82B-40E0-A8A6-9982E951D055_zps

D035F046-94A8-4A9D-9F0E-8E5099E59CD0_zps

The Tank:

• Nano Cube 12 Gallon non-delux Circa 2004

Filtration/Equipment:

• Home made Media basket with filter floss, carbon, and purigen
  • Return - Maxi Jet 600 with hydro deflector
  • ATO - Puratek
  • Lighting - AI Nano with controller
  • Heater - Petco 50 W
  • Flow - RW-4 caused way to much flow, thinking MP-10

Sand/Rock/Water:

• ~12 lbs. of rock live rock
  • ~15 lbs. of dry rock Circa 2004
  • ~20lbs. of CaribSea Arag-Alive Sand
  • Filter sea water

Livestock:

• 2 - Ocellaris clownfish
  • 1 - Royal Gramma
  • CUC - Reef Cleaners (dwarf ceriths, nassarius, florida ceriths, nerites)

Coral:

• Frog Spawn
  • Green star polyps
  • 2 - Richordia (Blue/Purple) & (Green & Yellow)
  • Blastomussa Merleti
  • Birds nest
  • Finger leather
  • Birds nest coral
  • Kryptonite Candy Cane
  • Monti Cap
  • Fire & Ice Polyp
  • List to be continued with the help of Manny & Jonathan who graciously helped me get started with quite a lot of frags.

Thanks & Gig 'Em.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to help out a bit with your coral, you also have:

Dragon eye zoas,

Birds of paradise birdsnest,

Purple Montipora digitata,

Stuber Staghorn Acropora,

Green palys,

I think you listed all the rest from what I can see.

The ATO has turned into being smarter than I am. I'm not quite sure if I need to set it in the middle where it will trigger when it drops below the sensor. But right now the water line is halfway up the sensor and it's working fine. I was thinking it should trigger when it hits below the sensor and stop when it gets past it. But maybe I'm over thinking here.

I introduced a blood shrimp and I think the gramma is scared of it. It took over its home and pushed him really high into a hole in the cave. My wife now hates the shrimp and we're going away this weekend. If they aren't getting along she says the shrimp has to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your tank looks great and you doing well. I would suggest a couple 4 of the easiest SPS. Orange Setosa, screaming green birdsnest and forest fire digi, Jeremy's monti. All 4 of those pieces would be cheap and they are very hardy and grow fast-ish and are cheaper. I wouldn't get all 4 but I would pick 1 or 2 you like.

And is that green star polyp on the right side touching your base rock? If it is I would highly reccomend it not touching your rock structure. Once it grows onto your rock it will be impossible to remove. If you like it great just know that eventually it will cover the rock and be there forever.

Ha. Yeah, I tried to edit that post but I couldn't figure out how to do it on my iPhone. I can manage on the iPad but not entirely sure where that's at.

The two things my wife loves is the GSP and the royal gramma. So I'm hoping to pull it out tomorrow and glue it on a frag plug to keep her happy for the time being. I'd like to replace it with a hammer coral/torch coral something that has the extension and flow that she loves about the gsp.

Things I'll like to do.

1. Replace heater with cobalt heater

2. Add an apex or puratek controller

3. Second hand mp-10

Archived