Blue Zoo Aquatics

nvrEnuf

I don't know anything about them, never heard anything about them and stumbles unto them through an image search.

Anyone ordered through them before; and if so, what experience di you have?

They seem to have one of the widest variaty of fish I've seen.

I used to order from them fairly regularly, I was always pleased with the order and they did a great job of fulfilling special requests. I don't have a large enough tank anymore to justify an order from them that would constitute free shipping, but when I upgrade to a larger tank, I'll probably start ordering from them again.

Just a thought, but why not request one of the LFS to order some fish for you?

While not always the case, but sometimes you'll get it cheaper through the LFS and you'll be able to see the specimen in person before committing to buy it. I'm definitely getting a cheaper price for my regal angelfish than ordering through either live aquaria or blue zoo aquatics.

Best benefit, you support our LFSs and you keep the money in the Austin economy.

Just a thought, but why not request one of the LFS to order some fish for you?

While not always the case, but sometimes you'll get it cheaper through the LFS and you'll be able to see the specimen in person before committing to buy it. I'm definitely getting a cheaper price for my regal angelfish than ordering through either live aquaria or blue zoo aquatics.

Best benefit, you support our LFSs and you keep the money in the Austin economy.

+1

I don't disagree, but in my experience the LFS gives zero guarantee once you leave the shop. Online at least has a 14 day guarantee. Do any of the LFS do that that I'm not aware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not aware of that either so I can't comment. I've actually never asked a LFS to replace a fish that died under my care when I purchased it. I always take it as it was fine in their tank before I brought it home but that's probably just me.

I don't disagree, but in my experience the LFS gives zero guarantee once you leave the shop. Online at least has a 14 day guarantee. Do any of the LFS do that that I'm not aware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, if you are member of their buyer club, Aquadome has a guarantee on their fish.

They also will tell you how long they've had the fish and the history of it (what it's eating, how often, etc.)

Jake at River City covers fish depending on the specific circumstances.

I can't speak for Niko's but he may answer here.

I only bring it up because blue zoo has some fish I hadn't seen anywhere ever.

For some fish I think direct shipping may be better than the extra acclimation of an LFS.

For example, I'm pretty sure at this point I would only purchase an achilles (don't worry, I'm not) from divers den from Liveaquaria. I've heard and read wonderful things about thier husbandry and just wouldn't trust that fish having been in any of the holding tanks I know of in town; too risky unless I had a 6 foot QT!!

I am thinking mandarins might apply too....and other picky eating fish that are difficult if not impossible to QT for 6 weeks.

Since RCA is on the other side of the world for me, I have only bought a fish or two from there, but Travis at Nikkos has done me right when one tang died suddenly and the other was fine, as well as when aggressive fish were returned and I like buying from him as well as the Dome. However, Liveaquaria divers den is like paying to QT difficult QT fish....Otherwise my money goes to the LFS 'cuz when a pump goes out and I NEED a new one NOW, I better have a LFS to shop!

Thanks for the input

I just have them keep the fish in the bag and I grab it directly before it goes into any of their holding tanks.

I understand the desire to buy hard to acclimate species from a reputable source... divers den on liveaquaria makes sense for those scenarios.

Buying from LFS or online can be a crap shoot in any situation. I have purchased from every store in Austin in fact my tank has fish from all stores right now except Fishy Business. In fact I have a fish from Petco in there. I have had hits and misses from each one. Ultimately it is up to the consumer to make sure they buy fish that look healthy and are eating. If I look at a fish and the clerk says oh yea it is good and it is looking lethargic and not acting as it should, I'm not buying it. I can't really say anything about buying online because my schedule sucks and I can't guarantee I would be home to receive it

Archived