Stocking my 60g cube ideas?

CJohnson

So I am plumbing my 60g cube tomorrow and adding water on sunday hopefully! Any good stocking Ideas first fish/corals? I have an SCA-301 skimmer on the way and for now a 250w metal halide (I am going to get new leds one of these day) I also plan on having a compartment in my sump for live rock rubble. Also if anyone has pictures of stock in their cubes (I dont care what size) and a list that would be good or just anyfish that would fit in good.

Thanks!

You will probably get more responses if you put out some of your own thoughts for comments. For example, people have no idea what direction you want to go as far as overall type of tank (fish only, softies, LPS, etc.). So, its hard to give any advice.

Yeah, what Jim said. I'm downsizing from a 75g to a 50g cube and decided to do mainly LPS with a couple of SPS. I'll have an acan garden on the sand bed and a few things on the rock work. I just moved everything to the new tank. I'm moving next week so I pretty much just stuck everything where ever it would fit. Once I move I'll work on organizing / placing all the pieces and can post a pic then.

Cheap Zoas and Mushrooms first (stay away from anything with a fancy name)

Leathers and Euphy's can be next, and slightly higher in the tank.

Once all this is growing, try and LPS or two...like maybe a blasto or scoly

once you've seen growth on these you can go for a Dersa or easy SPS like Stylo or Digi (provided you have enough light)

I recommend not spending more than $10 on any one coral for the first 6 months or so....I think the small $4.99 tanks at the Dome, RCA, Nikkos are where beginers should be buying coral. It's a great way to learn so many things like spoting coral in the first place, identifiyng coral types and classes, glueing frags, coral placement, and more. Every once in awhile you will find a very small SPS frag and today some of my largest pieces started as mini-frags found for under $5!

It isn't until you've completed all of this that you're ready to start purchasing the higher end stuff- Maxima clam (IMO), ultra zoas, named SPS.

For a first time tank I would recommend fish stocking the same way I do for corals : start at the bottom and move up:

1. Remember that clown fish are Damsels! Adding this fish too early can cause stress when later additions are made

2. stock slowly and ALWAYS QUARANTINE!!!!!!!!! - JeeperTy is currently going through an episode and will be more than happy to tell you the importance of QT. I have a currently fallow tank because I thought I could make an exception! ALWAYS QUARANTINE. Next to keeping your parameters stable this is IMHO the second most important thing in this hobby....more important that feeding and nutrition!!!

3. If you're going to have a lot of fish admit it from the begining and build the tank to deal with it: oversized filtration, extra rock, extra flow.

resist the tang!!! I do not beleive you're cube is really enough swiming space for any tang, but if you have to have one please only get a yellow, or even better a Kole. Also, you're 600GPH Rio is underpowered for this tank for tangs or SPS without significant supplimentation.

Suggested stocking list in order:

1. when you see algea in the tank add a clean up crew

2. Goby or Blenny to assist in clean up/ sifting if you like. Also fortifies nitifrication cycle

3. another small fish for rock work or sand level...goby/shrimp pair?, blenny?, clown goby?

4. Third add your mid range swimmer(S) these might be Cardinals, firefish, chromis...you can add 2 or three

5. wait awhile to ensure nitrification adjusts to 3 fish being added!

6. add top tier fish- 1 or 2 but probably not at same time. Dwarf angel (with caution) Damsel (if you HAVE to....be careful, they get mean) Wrasse, tang, whatever.

7. start learning you're own preferences and techniques. There is not a RIGHT way to do this, only, a lot of ways that result in dead livestock and wasted money. The key to it all is educating your self, making a plan, and being patient enough to stick to that plan. Oh, and also QUARANTINE!!!

Yes, this means go buy a 10 -20 gallon tank and get it up and running right now. You don't need lights and a HoB filter or fuge is fine. But I am telling you here and now you WILL get ich, you WILL loose fish, and you will most likely be force to break the entire tank down one day if you do not quarantine.

If there were two things I would have done differently from the get go it would be a controller and QT from day one!

Nvrenuf,

That is one of the best and most well though out posts for a beginner. I commend you for your patience to type our such a detailed post.

Kidwithatank,

If you would like to build a successful tank read his post and then print it and tape it to your tank as a reminder.

I have a 30g tank sitting around I am setting it up this week I have 2 power heads one is a koriola and the other one says jvp-_101 I got water in the tank today I want to get a wp-40 what are your thoughts on that? Will that be enough flow for sps then? I also don't have sand in yet I'm not sure if I am going to put any in I might put just enough in to cover the bottom glass.

I have a protein skimmer on the way.

Thanks you!

Kidwithatank,

Please re read nvrenuf's post.

Trying to keep a SPS tank as your first tank is a mistake. They don't tolerate any swings in water parameters.

Trying to keep a nano SPS tank is normally a bad idea. Nanos usually swing water parameters too fast because of the small volume of water. You need to be diligent on water parameters to eve have a prayer of succeeding.

Spinning 2 tanks at once is a mistake. Not even the most experienced reef keepers will try to spin more then one tank every 6 months. They can take too much attention to get to the stable 6 month mark.

Focus on the first tank first.

Do you even have test kits to test your water? What test kits do you have?

I agree with reburn. This hobby is exciting and even the most experienced of us must constantly fight the urge to go too far too fast --you should have seen us at the last Jason Fox live sale smile.png It's also expensive, and even one tank can drain your funds quickly if you are on a limited budget. Don't spread yourself thin and cut corners, your animals will suffer and die!

Take nvrenuf's and reburn's advice: slow down and really focus on learning how to manage water chemistry, flow, and lighting with one tank. Learn how to do that well, and then you can begin to take on more challenging things.

If you do want to get SPS then chat with the guys that keep mainly SPS tanks and research what they use. JeeperTy, Juiceman, SAM, don Duncan to name a few

Lighting -

Metal Halides are tried and true and available in the for sale section often but you have to deal with changing out bulbs every 6 months and the heat issue during the summers.

If you do SPS I would think you'd need one more 250w MH or if your trying to match JeeperTy's lighting 1,000,000w's should do.

LEDs. When I researched BMLs they recommended 4 strips for my 90 so I would think 3 for your 60 should do. Easiest way is to borrow a par meter from someone (a Large pizza and 2L usually works) and get readings on your tank then check back with the sps guys on their readings

ATO - Autotop offs are a must to keep your tank steady

Calcium Reactor - Most sps do not tolerate swings and even though you may of had a drop in alk 2 weeks ago bam their bleached

Phosphate reactor - Algae is the number 1 reason most hobbyist get out and if algae is competing for resources then your sps lose

Tank Controller - You need to make sure everything is stable and a controller will help you with any problems that may arise. Most people have Apex systems but check out Reef Angel and the others as well.

Refractometer - Salinty needs to be spot on and Hydrometers will not give you a correct reading

Leak Detector - It's going to happen so rather not ruin your house and not be aware you have a problem til later ( cheap alternative if not via controller is the leak frog)

Flow - Jebao pumps are what I would recommend unless you can snag a good deal on a used ecotech.

Set yourself up with an email alert in the for sale equipment section so you don't miss out on any good deals.

So do I need to upgrade my return pump if I ever want to try SPS?

No, your return pump isn't for flow, it's just for turnover in the sump mostly. I'd be looking at power heads in the tank to get the flow you want.

OK thanks, my protein skimmer will be here Wednesday it is an sca so I think I am going to go light on the fish for now so the parameters are easier to maintain. Also what were some of the first reactors you got for your aquariums? I have never had a reactor before I need to do more research I am just trying to get the essentials for now. What should I out in the 30g quaritine!

Nothing for the qt. Carbon would pull out any meds you might add and you usually do plenty of water changes on a qt, so nothing else would get high. For your display I'd consider having a gac/carbon reactor and a gfo reactor later down the road. You can get away with running both in a single reactor but if you have the space and money, it makes more sense to have a dual.

I can't give good advice on a length of qt, but I'm sure others will. You'll get advice all over the board on a dsb. I'd think with your first tank it's not worth the risk. Just a good enough coverage of sand to look nice seems like a good decision. Plus your tank isn't all that big, so a 3"+ sand bed would seem like a ton of sand in there.

Yeah another problem is rock I am running low in it the one I was building I ran out some how....... Most of it is dry rock, with a little bit of live rock I might go and get some more dry rock and a bottle of bacteria!

Archived