Sudden tang death

nvrEnuf

Bought a powder brown and yellow from the same tank on Saturday.

Spoke extensively with the store owner about the two, who were getting along well with another yellow in a 75.

Both were slightly underweight as to be expected in fish 1 week after delivery. The powder brown was small (which is what I was looking for) juvinile and the yellow only slightly older and about the same size.

Scenario presumes perfect water params (Red Sea, Hanna, calibrated refract) with exception of mildly high PO4 from new rock, 1.025, Nori offered and accepted

37 minute car ride home with no stops.

30 minute soak in bag in tank.

45 minute drip acclimationin bags in sump.

Went in tank at about 5:45 and both ate mysis about an hour later.

both ate mysis, Rod's, and Dr. G's the following morning, and both had no spots or bruising when lights on (actinic only) and were opaque.

That afternoon (sunday) noticed one small spec on PBT near tail, fed DR's G's parasite only.

Monday Morning : PBT a few smaller than usuall barely noticable spots at lights on; Dr G's only; Yellow Healthy

Monday eve: no visable spots on ether, Dr G's only

Tue morn: no visable spots on either, no bruising, Dr G's + Mysis

Tue Eve: Same + Rod's

This morn: Same as yesterday + Rod's, Red Sea A+B

This eve: PBT Dead!

No crabs, but now that I think about it PBT was at the Skunk's "cleaning station" quite a lot last night for the first time ever. The shrimp has never had a fish stay and be cleaned that long so I was ammused. Gills, mouth seemed to be where the fish wanted to be cleaned and swam off excitedly every once in awhile before returning for more.

That's really all the info I can think of...any thoughts?

It certainly wasn't external parasites that killed it, that would take longer. (I'm not saying it didn't have external parasites though.) Unfortunately we do not even have minimal testing capabilities for our fish. My vet can take a blood sample from one of my cats and test in house pretty quickly for a whole slew of things and outsource over night for another slew of things, all we got for our fish is just a few external symptoms which are open to subjective interpretations (is a white spot a grain of sand, a tiny air bubble, velvet, cryptocayon {"ich"}, or a small wound?) I know from first hand experience it may take weeks to months for problems to show up. A case in point about a decade ago I got 10 Naso Tangs, they were fine through a 4 - 5 week quarintine, looked good and ate well, and went into 9 different tanks, then between weeks 8 and 10 nine of them died. An average aquarist getting just one tang would not have the benefit of a larger sample size and be worried there might be something wrong in their system or QT process when actually they didn't do anything wrong. And their LFS didn't do anything wrong either. Some of the problems fish have do take a long time to incubate and lacking any testing abilities all we can do is worry.

PBT is a delicate fish.

IMO your tank seems too new to add one. Almost a year in on our new tank and I'm nervous to add an Achilles. Don't think it's established enough.

Also the rock is new... Sure you didn't have any die off? Ammonia spike?

Also I've witnessed a tang stress another tang to death in virtually hours with no fighting.

Thanks for the response!

only about 30% of the rock is new, purchased at the dome and kept wet until home (12 minutes) then into a holding tank upstairs for over a week to suffer any die off before a 30 second trip downstairs to current display.

The rest of the rock, The turf scrubber and 75% of the water, were established for 2 years or more.

No bloom after transfer, no ammonia, trite, or trate spikes...just PO.

Stress from another tang though, now that you say it, might make sense. The yellow followed the PBT EVERYWHERE! Not attacking by any means, more like ihe was nsecure. I thought it had subsided when the PBT was at the cleaning statino and the yellow was calmly cruising the tank...as he is while I sit here typing this and watching the tank; but it could have already been too late...

BTW, I don't care how old a tank is, I'd be nervous to add an Achilles!!!!

We had two tangs die over two days...

Day one we found our Purple Tang on the powerhead dead.

Day two, I noticed the Tomini Tang was acting weird. Then while watching TV heard a splash.

Went to look and the Yellow and Yellow Bellied Blue tangs had the Tomini cornered. They started to slowly move the Tomini higher and higher in the tank (no tail slapping, just getting closer to him). Then the Tomini sudden took off along the top of the tank and slammed into the far side glass.

After that he was just swimming in circles. I got him out of the tank and into the sump. He died about an hour later.

Note this was in a 10 foot tank... in a smaller tank I could only imagine how violent a tang trying to escape could be. I'd guess stress/trauma did your PBT in.

We had two tangs die over two days...

Day one we found our Purple Tang on the powerhead dead.

Day two, I noticed the Tomini Tang was acting weird. Then while watching TV heard a splash.

Went to look and the Yellow and Yellow Bellied Blue tangs had the Tomini cornered. They started to slowly move the Tomini higher and higher in the tank (no tail slapping, just getting closer to him). Then the Tomini sudden took off along the top of the tank and slammed into the far side glass.

After that he was just swimming in circles. I got him out of the tank and into the sump. He died about an hour later.

Note this was in a 10 foot tank... in a smaller tank I could only imagine how violent a tang trying to escape could be. I'd guess stress/trauma did your PBT in.

Sorry to hear that!

Archived