Yellow Tang - Popeye? maybe?

dieselndixie

I got a new yellow tang on friday (2") for my 55g reef tank.

25g sump,fuge

mushrooms, zoas, leathers, etc.

water is

SG 1.024

cal 350

PH 8

NO2 <.03

NH3 NH3 0

My tang all of a sudden has one eye bulging out like there is a clear bubble behind its eye. it looks bad to me, and I am worried the fish is suffering. has this ever happened to anyone? any suggestions?

I just recently lost a damsel to pop-eye. Mine seems to have been caused by an abraision rather than bacterial infection. The only advice I have is to treat it as soon as possible, and in a QT tank. I waited a week before I got a chance to setup my QT, and by the time I did, the fish was already showing signs of a problem with the other eye (well, maybe it was bacterial, since it was both eyes). I got the fish out, put in QT, treated for 2 weeks with Maracyn (I'll have to look at it later), and Epsom salts to relieve the swelling. After the first week of treatment, the swelling was down, but I believe the fish was now blind. It could tell when I put food in the water, made an attempt to find food, but was unsuccessful unless it floated right in front of him. At the end, the fish had not eaten in about 2 weeks, and I believe that was the ultimate cause of his demise. On the last day, he could not hold himself up in the current, and I had to do a quick freeze to put him out of his misery. I had always hoped he would resume eating, but he just could never seem to get anything, even in QT. I had the fish about 6 years, so that always sucks a little, but at least the other fish are not affected (another reason I believe the cause was abrasion).

Either way, if it is pop-eye, and you can get him out, I'd do so. But in a hard to reach place, or loaded reef, you may just have to wait it out. From what I read, it almost always is a wait and see type of affliction. Some say it can last as long as 5-6 weeks. And from my experience, that was about the amount of time it took for the swelling in my fish's eyes to diminish.

I hope this helps you, and that the little tang is ok.

Jim

well, after about 5 days, the popeye is gone. I really didnt do anything differently, so I think it was either from stress, or he bumped his eye while he was freaking out diving through all the LR holes.

anyway...I feel much better...and she is so pretty.

Now, for the bigger debate...

I obviously got told at the LFS that the tang is fine in my 55g....but after reading the web, this seems to be a hot button. How big is too big for my tank? the tank is about 2" from nose to tail right now.

thanks