New build 270 Tall with 29 Cube

lenver

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm about 75% done with the plumbing, all drains are done, and about half way done with the returns, decided to go with all pvc hard plumbing, used unions that can be detached, the sections between the tanks and the stand can all be removed for transport, will need to get a few more plumbing parts for the returns, need valves for the reactors and for the smaller tank, besides the two return pumps there will be two others, the skimmer and the chiller, I want to be able to manage them independently with the reefkeeper18000b133e4c0d3442fe82e481aa6e8e.jpg

post-2381-14185939276_thumb.jpg

post-2381-141859394655_thumb.jpg

post-2381-141859396296_thumb.jpg

There will be two of these dc pumps, I know one is enough for the 270 but I rather have more flow, I will probably loose around 20% due to the plumbing, I will have one of these going to one of the returns of the 270 and another to the cube with a valve to regulate the flow, the second one will be going to the second return one the 270 and I will use it to run two reactors and a coralia 36 watts uv, I will place valves on each to regulate their flow

Trying to find out where my second pump is, I'm wondering if it will get here by tomorrow

Tracking Details

1Z99E9A20490111637

In Transit

Scheduled Delivery (Updated):

12/19/2014

by End of Day

Service Level:

UPS Worldwide Express Saver®

Weight:

3.30 KGS

To:

HUTTO, TX 786345344 US

Package Progress

Anchorage, AK, US

12/18/2014 12:44 P.M.

Arrival Scan

Chek Lap Kok, HK

12/18/2014 8:45 P.M.

Departure Scan

12/18/2014 6:49 P.M.

Export Scan

12/18/2014 6:49 P.M.

Origin Scan

Shek Mun, HK

12/18/2014 2:34 P.M.

PICKUP SCAN

HK

12/18/2014 1:01 A.M.

Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Seems like a well traveled pump. As I am In the equipment buying stage for my new build I would like to caution you with wise advice I recieved. Do not under any circumstances have a return pump that can outrun your drains. Electronics malfunction and if the adjustable DC pump sticks wide open you can end up with water on the wrong side of your glass.

I know your going to put a ball valve on the return side of your pump and that should keep you safe, but I would still think long and hard about the warning. I did.

I think I see you have 3 1" drains. A one inch drain should be able to handle 600gph. Assuming one is an emergency and the other 2 are running full siphon you should be draining 1200gph max. You pump is rated at 3170gph not factoring head pressure loss. I understand that you will be running ball valves on your returns to slow as needed. I just respect Murphy's law. I'm not trying to dissuade you just to merely make an observation.

This is generally my go to for basic plumbing flow rates.

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2012/aquarium-plumbing-basics/

And I know the closed loop system would be a PITA at this point to implement. Another fix that would be a PITA is to upsize your drains to 1.5" drains that will flow 1400gph. That would put you in the safe zone of 2800gph drain and in sure your pump wide open won't flow that considering head pressure loss. The easiest option would be in tank circulation, ie powerheads to regulate and adjust in tank flow. I think you would be more then happy with 4 times turn over through your sump and the rest being powerheads to get you closer to 10x water circulation.

Ok so this is the first run, both pumps running at full blast, found two cracked bulkheads, will go to nikos and get new ones, fortunately both parts just screw off along with the plumbing, no leaks besides those

Cool deal I was hoping that you had enough head and 90's to slow the pumps to where they wouldn't out run the drains. When you do your next test try capping one of the drains and let it run and monitor and see how fast it takes to get to the emergency and then fail the second drain and see how long it takes to over take the emergency and get to critical water level. I'm all about figuring out the fail points using a control.

Are you going to be using an archon on this tank? DCI?

Right now i'm thinking of maybe selling my reefkeeper and get an APEX, there is really just no support from digital aquatics, and even if their product gets better I just don't see them following up on their support.

The APEX has great support, and their online help and forum seems real good

Archived